Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a poor, better, best size of flock which helps keep picking to a minimum?
Farmhand aka Clifford aka Grampa

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Size of flock has nothing to do with picking, its the size of the area you have for your flock. Over crowding leads to picking. Keep everyone at least 3 - 4 sq ft a bird and they wont feel crowded and pick each other. Hope that helps.

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
I agree with Apyl, there's no "right" amount of chickens. It depends on the amount of space each individual person can provide.
Although, it's not just a space issue. I've seen chickens with plenty of space still peck at each other. Other things can trigger pecking, such as stress. Make sure that your chickens have a clean environment (coop and run) and that they have plenty of ventilation, along with plenty of space. :)
I've also had chickens that just simply did NOT like each other what-so-ever. No matter what you do, some chickens are just not compatible.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mine have lots of room but fight over the top roost, always has to be something. Thought about adding another at the same height but it would make it more difficult for me to get in and clean.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question stems from a background I raising fish in aquariums. Different fish will relate differently to each other depending on how many are in the school. Too few, and you can have problems.
Farmhand aka Clifford aka Grampa

·
174 Posts
Not sure where you live but my lovely township determines the size of my flock based on land size. Ex: 6 hens per 1.5 acres. Not sure where they come up with this stuff? Gotta love it!

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lissa said:
Not sure where you live but my lovely township determines the size of my flock based on land size. Ex: 6 hens per 1.5 acres. Not sure where they come up with this stuff? Gotta love it!
Since I live on 20 acres, the smart people in charge think I can have 80 birds. Just wait till I tell my wife! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts