Best place to buy chicks?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Kokoschicks, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Where is the best place to buy chicks online?

2. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I vote meyer hatchery there the cheapest in my opinion

3. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Are they in stock of chicks now?

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I thought Myers had a good selection too. Carter's legacy is another. I heard some bad stuff about Mypetchicken. Google hatchery.

5. BigECart

BigECart New Member

Carter's won't have chicks until January. Www.carterslegacyfarms.com

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I'm not sure of the best. But, when I was looking for our silkie. No place had any in stock anywhere.

7. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Meyer has chicks ready the bantams are probally getting low meyerhatchery.com

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Meyers, Murray McMurray, ideal, Carter's Legacy... There are several more, pick up a chickens magazine at the store and look through the ads, request a free catalog. They all offer a free catalog and you can shop that way.

9. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

After months of chicken research, it depends on what kind of chickens you want, how many you want to order, and availability. Some online chicken hatcheries have a minimum of 25; where some have a minimum of 3. Some hatcheries have catalogs like Cogburn said, I am currently waiting for some in the mail. Look around at different online sources and find out their breeds and minimum order. Best time to order is spring..

Best resources for chickens:
    classified ads
    craigs list
    county fairs
    clubs
    newsletters
    catalogs
    poultry mail order
    local hatcheries
    feed stores
    bulletin boards
    also look here..http://www.chickenforum.com/f11/where-do-you-get-your-chickens-816/

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

BB, were you like a reference librarian in a former life? You are amazing - consistently amazing!

XXX

11. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

:) I am an information junkie and love learning new things. I grew up with my Grandmother taking me to the Huge old libraries in Boston. Going to the library is fun for me, so much knowlege. The library where I live now is so tiny. They have to order books for me. My hold list is huge. I love to read. And I am good at research. ;) I don't know about amazing, but I do sparkle sometimes!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Trust me, amazing is in the description! I'm a bookie too! I share your love of libraries.

13. sandra

sandra New Member

I purchased mine chicks from Cackle Hatchery. They came highly recommended by my local farmer feed and seed. I order 25 chicks earlier this year and only lost one, all the rest were healthy and happy till "the day" as we call it. But I have my special darlings also from Cackle Hatchery. I have three New Hampshire Red hens and one White Jersey Giant cockerel . And for being such an enormous rooster he is very sweet and loving.

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Just saw a bunch of Jersey Giants at the poultry show. God they are big. Someday....

15. sandra

sandra New Member

Yeah I know. That's why I love them so much. Lots of bird to snuggle! Their pretty smart too.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah, all chickens are smart. People don't give them enough credit.