Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New chicks coming to our pet store! There are a lot of different breeds, and I want an egg laying flock. Any ideas on what chickens lay almost every day?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Well, out of the various different breeds I have, my Australorp and Barred Rock have been the most consistent. Going on 3 years this summer for the Rocks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
White Leghorns most definitely! They have the best feed to egg ratio meaning they eat a small amount of food compared to the amount of eggs they lay!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If younwant alot of eggs white or brown leghorns would be the best for white eggs. If you want brown eggs rhode island reds are the best,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for you input! I know that our store will have australorps, but the rest will be a surprise! I'll keep you posted!

·
174 Posts
My Rhode Island Red and Java are my best layers. They both laid through the winter in NJ without added light. My friend's Leghorns and Dominiques are egg laying machines too through the winter. My Easter Egger is pretty consistent too but didn't lay until 8 or 9 months old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AlexTS113 said:
New chicks coming to our pet store! There are a lot of different breeds, and I want an egg laying flock. Any ideas on what chickens lay almost every day?
Well I say golden comets

·
Registered
839 Posts
AlexTS113 said:
Now, is there any that lay through the winter, because in PA it gets cold!
All of my pullets that started laying this fall laid through the winter. RIR, a leghorn mix, EE, welsummer, jersey giant/Cochin, and my Wyandotte. Trust me, I am in Alaska, it's still cold, they are still laying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Australop-Bardrock-Buff orpington-Welsummer are all great but the Bard Rock is a pet also. She is so spoiled she has to have indivisulal attention!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!! I'm so excited to try all these different breeds. Before I was just a wyannadote kind of guy, but you guys have opened me up to a whole new world of chickeneering!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts