Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen this?
Our flocks feeder was covered with bright red splatter when I went outside today to let the hens out. The wildbirds eat the grain and are always in the coop. Could it be from them?

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats what happened to me!! We figured out it was cold and frosty and their combs were sticking to the feeder!! Ours was a metal waterer... I wrapped the feeder with hand towels and duck tape and it worked!! Kinda like sticking your tongue to a metal sled or a flag pole!! LOL! Let me know... Jen:)

·
173 Posts
It's blood from combs that froze and cracked or got broken while frozen, then when the comb thaws again it bleeds. I had a little bit of that with my single combed chickens this year. I had no troubles with pea combs and cushion combs.

·
46 Posts
This happened to me when the weather first turned bitter cold. I had noticed the tiny black spots on the combs of a few. I first noticed the blood in one of my nesting boxes and then saw the waterer. Took a few days for the bleeding hen to recover.

It has happened one time since and is as startling the second time.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Also, if your chickens are bickering over the feeder they will peck each others' combs. The comb bleeds and smears on the feeder. If it's a problem put in two feeders so they can eat---but get away from the boss or a bully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts