Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 4 little duckies. They are in a large cattle waterer and have plenty of room, but I have to change the bedding way too often. They get it absolutely soaked. I had heard ducks are messy, but didn't realize the full extent. It needs changed every few days.

We are using cedar chips (it's what we use for the chickens). They have a large shallow pan that we put warmish water in 3-4 times a day plus a regular waterer. I wasn't sure if they are supposed to have water yet, but my husband put it in and they love it. I feel mean not giving them the water, but it is out at the moment since I just gave them fresh bedding.

Can anybody suggest a better option for the bedding? Or should I not give them their little pool? Thanks for any help!

ForumRunner_20130529_183254.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Pekin ducks grow so fast. Won't be long and you'll be able to put them outside with no problem. Only water I kept in brooder for mine was their drinking water which of course they managed to turn into a huge mess regardless of what I did. I gave mine some swim time once a day in a plastic bin outside of the brooder in an area they couldn't hurt with their splashing. Used pine shavings in my brooder. I won't use cedar. Its not good for their lungs; too harsh.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
No matter what you use, you'll be changing it daily. lol When we said they were messy we meant it lol ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ducks are MESSY! That said we only had the waterer in there and we would put them in the tub every night. I took a big square cake pan and my husband made a wooden frame covered in screen and we put the water on top this caught the water they squirk out of their mouth when they drink..... Did I say messy! Lol
They are outside now with a kiddie pool. We clean it every night. It gets dirty again in ten minutes but they are fun to watch.
The Perkins are 12 weeks now and about 10-12 pounds. They grow so fast.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! 7 I didn't realize that about the cedar, I'll go get some pine tonight. I would hate to do anything to hurt them. It is ok for the chickens though, isn't it? I had considered shredded paper for the ducks (I have access to quite a bit). It didn't really work for the chickens because it wouldn't absorb anything but if I change it everyday maybe it would be ok for the ducks? And Apyl, now I realize how MUCH you all meant about the messiness! :) But they are sooo cute when they run laps and jump in the water! Your birds are very pretty Pjs. Not sure if my husband would build me a duck water bath thing or not. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
We just got a load of smooth river stone and put it in the bottom it the pen. Their pool stays much cleaner now and they aren't covered in mud!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hadn't considered rocks. I thought about sand when they are bigger and outside, but rocks sound like a really good idea! Will you take the rocks out and wash them or how do you plan to clean them? (I'm assuming that you are not going to throw them away each time the pen needs cleaned.) Thanks for the idea! :-D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
IF my ducks were penned and if I were using smooth river rock I would just hose it off the clean it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Apyl, I was having a dumb moment. I was thinking about a brooder and not an outside pen. Hosing off is a much smarter idea. :) I was trying to figure out how it would work in the setup I have and not really thinking it through. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts