Beating the Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by robin416, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:18 AM.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Having lived in MI not far from Lake Erie we would have the high winds in the Fall. High enough to knock boats out their cradles. Have they gotten that much worse since I lived there many many years ago?

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I don't know. My area of Trumbull County gets occasional tornadoes and those seem to have increased in recent years. They take pretty large trees, especially big pines and twist them apart before knocking them down.

3. robin416

Tornado Alley has been moving steadily East for years now. It's one of the reasons I got out of TN.

Now we have a Dixie Alley. Guess what area that covers.

OK, this stinks. I have to take the post out that I put in yesterday. It has settled far too much overnight. I should have put the paving stone in the hole to help minimize that happening.

4. Slippy

Slippy Member

Ms Robin,

You are an awesome woman!

5. robin416

Stubborn is more like it. I know enough to get myself in trouble if I'm not careful.

I can't afford to be hiring people for stuff like this so I attempt to take care of it myself. And sometimes I have oops like the post that I have to redo. At least the hole digging won't be as bad as yesterday.

Slippy likes this.
  6. Poultry Judge

Just go easy and don't do stupid stuff like me!

7. robin416

It's done. My body says enough already.

I had two blowouts. One I had my hand on the 4X4 so I could direct it away from me, the second I wasn't near it.

At one point I went into the garage to drop my coat off, walking back it looked like the 4X4 was out of plumb. Went back and retrieved my level, should have had it in the first place. Checked and sure enough my eyes were not deceiving me. Got it all nice and plumb, stepped back to get my shovel to keep digging and poof!

I was eyeballing if the jack contraption was under the 2X4 I was wanting to lift, that seemed to not be the best thought pattern so I made a plumb bob out of paracord and a cat's paw. And put a straight brace on the top of the 4X4 to keep it from kicking back.

That got it. I got the roof high enough, the hole deep enough and set the new support post. If it settles too much this time, tough.

I just had a thought for the third post. I could put L braces at the top of the 4X4 and screw it to the roof 2X4. Kick back shouldn't end up being that much of concern with the 4X4 hanging from the roof.

Slippy and Poultry Judge like this.
  8. Poultry Judge

Yes, absolutely, I always screw brackets, braces, or strap iron at the top. You know how much that roof is going to move around in a windstorm!

9. Poultry Judge

At least you didn't injure yourself. I would average one injury per about every three posts!

Slippy likes this.
  10. Poultry Judge

A very very broken manure spreader...

manure spreader.jpg

11. robin416

Is that it hanging off the front of the tractor? That looks more like scrap metal.

12. Poultry Judge

Yes. It does look like scrap metal doesn't it?

13. Poultry Judge

My friend and I moved an Amish sawmill, we usually take payment in lumber. This time I got a load of Poplar for Fossil Ledges.
    Poplar lumber.jpg

14. robin416

I wouldn't mind taking that truck down the road a piece.

15. Poultry Judge

That is my 53 Ford 1 ton. It used to be a dually, I painted it last year and put the rough sawn Cherry bed on it. It has a very stiff ride and no power steering or air conditioning. It's just a farm truck but people seem to like it.

16. robin416

Trust me, it wouldn't have been the first time I drove something like that. And I would be proud to be seen tooling around in it.

There was this one couple I knew when I was 18. The hubs had a 40 something Dodge car. I was drooling over it, he said if you can start it you can take it for a ride. He didn't know I knew my way around vehicles, I started it, backed it out of the garage and off I went.

A couple months later the wife decided she was going to take it for a drive. Got it started, tried to back it out and hit the center support for the garage. Oops.