Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a durable, quality 'bator. Need to be able to hatch 8-12 eggs (minimum) per hatch, not more than 24 per.

Auto turner, fan, humidity control preferred.

$150-200 tops, but less would be good too! :D

Give me reviews (good and bad) please.

Also, please state if I need to get something else (like Little Giant).

Thanks much!

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
I love my Brinsea. I have two of them. However, they are not cheap. For the price you are looking for, you likely will be looking at a Hovabator or a Little Giant. I know people that have had good success with them but I am not one of them. Where I live in Canada, humidity was a big issue. I could never get my Little Giant to balance humidity properly even with a Hydrometer so I went to a Brinsea with an auto humidity pump which solved my problem.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I heard from so many that its best just to safe up and buy the right thing the first time. Gonna end up there anyway.

·
1,466 Posts
I love my Brinsea. I have two of them. However, they are not cheap. For the price you are looking for, you likely will be looking at a Hovabator or a Little Giant. I know people that have had good success with them but I am not one of them. Where I live in Canada, humidity was a big issue. I could never get my Little Giant to balance humidity properly even with a Hydrometer so I went to a Brinsea with an auto humidity pump which solved my problem.
i went with the Hovabator for about $129 shipped to my door.
it holds 41 chicken eggs has a fan kit & auto egg turner.
doing a test hatch rite now with just 10 eggs
i really like the Brinsea but they sure do cost a bunch of $$$

piglett

·
MommaHen72
23 Posts
piglett said:
i went with the Hovabator for about $129 shipped to my door.
it holds 41 chicken eggs has a fan kit & auto egg turner.
doing a test hatch rite now with just 10 eggs
i really like the Brinsea but they sure do cost a bunch of $$$

piglett
I received the hovabator with everything u just described for Christmas. I have 13 eggs in it due to hatch tues-thurs!! I hear peeping tonight and most of the eggs have been wiggling on the wire today. And this is my first hatch ever. Will let ya know how hatch turns out.

·
1,466 Posts
I received the hovabator with everything u just described for Christmas. I have 13 eggs in it due to hatch tues-thurs!! I hear peeping tonight and most of the eggs have been wiggling on the wire today. And this is my first hatch ever. Will let ya know how hatch turns out.
sounds good, now get that chicken out of the kitchen :D:D:D

·
977 Posts
MommaHen, you sound like me sneaking chickens into the house! I can't help it! I love watching them walking around being curious!

·
1,466 Posts
MommaHen, you sound like me sneaking chickens into the house! I can't help it! I love watching them walking around being curious!
i have a silkie youngster in the bathroom rite now.
she was not full of energy like her/his coop mates.
i gave it a good look over eyes were 1/2 closed but clear
beak looked good, bottom was free of poop but i did see something that could have been a mite. i dusted the whole bunch with DE
& put the "droopy" youngster in a dog crate in the bathroom.
also added some duramycen (spelled wrong) to it's water.
it does eat & drink some but it's clearly sick :(

piglett

·
1,466 Posts
Poor chickie. Hope he / she feels better
well i'm sorry to report that the youngster didn't make it through the night
what was strange is the cat who always sleeps between my wife & i didn't last night, she instead stayed in the bathroom. maybe the cat knew something that i didn't?

piglett

·
Registered
691 Posts
Like you toybarons I have been using Brinsea for years....purchased all of mine second hand on ebay or craigslist for the most part but you can buy an entry level Octagon 20 ECO unit for $149 NEW!!! The beauty of the Brinsea Octagon 20 is the eggs can be turned without opening the unit and withot touching the eggs....simply tilt the bator to one side or the other. You can add an auto-turner later if you like so those interested should try this link;

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-Octagon_20_ECO_egg_incubator-224.aspx

Brinsea Customer Service is TOP NOTCH as well. They have an office in Titusville, FL and will jump thru hoops to help you! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts