Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a favorite-wish the picture was better-Kimmi now believes that my problem in taking pictures is having a cheap camera. Maybe some day I'll have a better one.

I've had this tree a long time.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity I looked to see what my tree might be worth; not that I plan to sell it. I had no idea! The ad says this one is 25 years old. Mine is twice that age.WOW!!

'Hal' the Chinese Banyan - Specimen Bonsai

'Hal' the Chinese Banyan - Specimen Bonsai
$ 3,150

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was bought at Walmart many years ago. It's a ginseng ficus. A great bonsai for beginners and the experienced. It is a very forgiving plant that lets its owner know something is wrong well before it dies by having a few leaves turn bright yellow. Each day something isn't done more leaves turn bright yellow. The banyan (from earlier post) does the same thing. Both trees are very resilient when it comes to forgetting to water.

The roots grow in unusual shapes.

The roots, above, grow from the trunk and branches downward. Then when they reach the ground they grow as regular roots. The obvious purpose is to keep the tree stable.

This is what the dangling roots look like when they first start to grow.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
That is absolutely wild! Tempting too to add to my Orchids.

Speaking of watering, considering the tiny pots how do you water? Often, seldom? How do you know when it's time for those that don't warn of distress?

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is absolutely wild! Tempting too to add to my Orchids.

Speaking of watering, considering the tiny pots how do you water? Often, seldom? How do you know when it's time for those that don't warn of distress?
Be tempted-Go to Walmart, those they have are of a hardy sort; especially the ginseng ficus and the price has been between 10-15. Or go online and buy a bigger one. There are different types of ficus and all are hardy.

I water when the soil looks dry. I also put a tray/low bowl under them so I can give them extra. There are some that don't do well with wet roots all the time but the ficus isn't one of them. With all trees it is important to let those trays become empty before watering again.

How often depends on the type of plant and how big the pot is; the smallerr the pot the more often they need to be watered-in general.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Which makes sense when it comes to the pot size. Too me they'd be dried out every day and would need to be watered because of the lack of soil and so many roots.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which makes sense when it comes to the pot size. Too me they'd be dried out every day and would need to be watered because of the lack of soil and so many roots.
I don't have the smallest pots in use anymore as it's almost impossible for the average person to water every day without fail. The pots I use are more the once a week kind. During the spring, summer, and fall I have all the bonsai outside. Rain water is better for all plants and when it doesn't rain a garden hose makes for a fast job of watering,

Another plus for ficus is they hate direct sun doing way better in shade. This makes them ideal for indoors where sunlight is often scarce.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, now that's getting complicated. Every day pots, weekly pots.
No, not complicated. I only meant that the larger pots, like what I'm using for the ficus, get watered about once a week. Sorry for not being clearer.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Good grief! That pot is tiny already, how could there possibly be a daily pot that it would fit in?

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good grief! That pot is tiny already, how could there possibly be a daily pot that it would fit in?
They would no longer fit in the smaller pots; I've let them get too big for that, but they will not be allowed to get taller or have a bigger root mass. They are pruned and trimmed to keep them small. Only the trunk and branches get bigger in diameter.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
I think I'm better off admiring Bonsai from afar. Watch what you all do with them. Now if GA Chickn Chick would show up with her 100 bonsai.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is on of my older bonsai which isn't all that old; 30 years or so.

Bought as a present from, guess who? A Chinese umbrella tree.

Below shows a branch that's about 8-10 years old. It looks out of place so it will be cut off. Such trimmings can be planted to form another tree. Some people that sell bonsai "cheat" by taking a branch of similar age but with an interesting shape, plant it, then a year later sell it as a 10+ year old bonsai tree. the top of the tree would indeed be 10+ years old, but...

Years ago Kimmi got me a 55 year old Chinese Jade bonsai. When I got the tree I laughed and hurt Kimmi's feelings. The tree looked like a fence post that had started to grow. The seller had done just as I described above. They had taken a 55 year old 8 inch diameter branch, cut it into foot long sections, planted the sections in 9 inch square bonsai pots, waited for some green to grow on the top to hide what they had done, and sold them for a big price as a 55 year old plant . So, did they lie? It is buyer beware with everything!

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
A live 30 year old bonsai is still notable. It had to have had the right care to reach that age.

Poor Kimmi, she tries. Shows that she does think of you.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A live 30 year old bonsai is still notable. It had to have had the right care to reach that age.

Poor Kimmi, she tries. Shows that she does think of you.
She certainly does; all the time and I'm one lucky hubby. The thirty year old Umbrella bonsai was a buy whatever she paid. The 55 year old Jade was a cheat, but one she could not have known by the picture on the ad as it looked truly impressive.

In typing all this I missed the whole point! Yesterday we were posting of fig trees and bonsai fig trees with fruit. By using the process from the above posts, it would/is an easy thing to find an old knarly fig branch that is old enough to bear fruit to start a bonsai fig this year that could bear fruit next year. Fig cutting are among the easiest to root; thus I will have an old fig bonsai with a new root system the same as that Jade bonsai Kimmi bought. I have the branch already picked out, so now to cut it from the tree just right, scrape a little bark off where I want roots to grow, apply rooting hormone, plant in a small or bonsai pot with well draining soil, place in the greenhouse, water sparingly, and in a month I'll have an "old" fig bonsai growing new leaves and roots. The thing to do is start a few just in case... Of those fig cuttings I started last year, 100% grew.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
How many fig cuttings did you do last year? Is this another sideline for selling? It could be if you hadn't thought about it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts