Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to sound stupid but I have 7 standard hens and 1 standard cockerel and recently got an incubator and was wondering if I can keep bantams and standards in the same coop and run

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You dont sound stupid. It best to ask when your unsure. But yes you can coop bantams and standards together. I currently have bantams, standards, & ducks cooped together and have never had an issue.

·
34 Posts
yes you can join them together. mine is the opposite, though. large hen hanging around bantam breeds.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Your Rooster LOOKS quite a bit like my old Rooster who was a FINE FELLOW named "Oro Blanco de Gallo":

I THINK he was a "Golden Comet" ( type of Red Sex-Link ).....but NOT sure of that at all.
-ReTIRED-:)

·
Banned
162 Posts
The only issue I've ever heard of with keeping bantams and standard sized fowl together is problems when a standard cock bird tries to breed a bantam hen (I have always separated them, so cannot speak to it directly.) An extremely large male can injure a very small bantam hen during the mating/mounting process, simply due to the difference in size/weight. So if you had say, a large Orpington rooster trying to breed a small Dutch hen, you could have the potential for injury there. But other than that, I can't see any problem with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts