Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Newbie here. I'm from the Philippines and I'm also into Bantam raising. I managed to find this forum when I googled for a bantam forum site.

Please pardon this query if it has been asked before:
I paired an OEG cock to a regular sized crested hen. They mated and now I have some eggs.

My question are given that the eggs were fertilized and will hatch:
1. Will i be able to get a bantam sized crested offsping?
2. What will be the expected size of most the offsprings?
3. Will the F1s be fertile or sterile?

Thanks in advance.

·
441 Posts
Welcome :)
My feeling is that you will get a mix - some mid-sized birds neither bantam or standard, some large and perhaps a few tiny ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My feeling is that you will get a mix - some mid-sized birds neither bantam or standard, some large and perhaps a few tiny ones.
I agree with Bird_slave.

If you cross back to the bantam then that offspring will be smaller etc.

As to will they be fertile or sterile are you asking can they be fertile, and yes they can. No reason why they would be Sterile!

Welcome to the Forum!

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Bird_slave.

If you cross back to the bantam then that offspring will be smaller etc.

As to will they be fertile or sterile are you asking can they be fertile, and yes they can. No reason why they would be Sterile!

Welcome to the Forum!
welcome to the forum.
Welcome to chicken land! Hope you enjoy your visit!
Thank you for the warm welcome.:)

I am expecting the eggs to hatch anytime within this week. I got 6 eggs being incubated by my regular hen but i slipped a couple of bantam eggs to see if the eggs are still good.

So its just like "elimination of the gene" game. When I get a mid-sized hen, I'll just pair it up with another bantam until i get a smaller sized.;)

Regarding the sterile issue, I remembered that when a donkey X horse = mule then the mule is usually sterile. Glad that rule doesn't imply to chickens. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome.:)

I am expecting the eggs to hatch anytime within this week. I got 6 eggs being incubated by my regular hen but i slipped a couple of bantam eggs to see if the eggs are still good.

So its just like "elimination of the gene" game. When I get a mid-sized hen, I'll just pair it up with another bantam until i get a smaller sized.;)

Regarding the sterile issue, I remembered that when a donkey X horse = mule then the mule is usually sterile. Glad that rule doesn't imply to chickens. :D
I kind of figured that is what you were thinking about! Not so in the chicken world. But if you crossed a Guinea hen with a chicken they are supposed to be sterle

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi! Newbie here. I'm from the Philippines and I'm also into Bantam raising. I managed to find this forum when I googled for a bantam forum site.

Please pardon this query if it has been asked before:
I paired an OEG cock to a regular sized crested hen. They mated and now I have some eggs.

My question are given that the eggs were fertilized and will hatch:
1. Will i be able to get a bantam sized crested offsping?
2. What will be the expected size of most the offsprings?
3. Will the F1s be fertile or sterile?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome adobo! There are a number of genetics at work when crossing bantams (b) to large fowl (LF) a few to consider are the genes that are connected with dwarfism. Some of these can also be "sex-linked" in nature as well....depending on the cross this means males may be larger or smaller than females in the offspring. Generally, large and bantam crosses produce F1 offspring that are intermediate in size (sometimes appearing to be more bantam in size than LF in size). However, F2 offspring will have the greatest variation is size overall.

When one gets into the sex-linked dwarfism genetics a bantam male bred over a LF hen would give you intermediate sized males and relatively smaller females. Finally, there have been some "lethal" genetics associated with dwarfism genetic crosses too and these can occur in the F2, F3 and further offspring where bantam sized chicks are growing inside LF sized eggs and this becomes fatal. It is not a sterility issue but more to do with the bantam size chicks not being able to absorb the yolk sac of the LF sized eggs.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome adobo! There are a number of genetics at work when crossing bantams (b) to large fowl (LF) a few to consider are the genes that are connected with dwarfism. Some of these can also be "sex-linked" in nature as well....depending on the cross this means males may be larger or smaller than females in the offspring. Generally, large and bantam crosses produce F1 offspring that are intermediate in size (sometimes appearing to be more bantam in size than LF in size). However, F2 offspring will have the greatest variation is size overall.

When one gets into the sex-linked dwarfism genetics a bantam male bred over a LF hen would give you intermediate sized males and relatively smaller females. Finally, there have been some "lethal" genetics associated with dwarfism genetic crosses too and these can occur in the F2, F3 and further offspring where bantam sized chicks are growing inside LF sized eggs and this becomes fatal. It is not a sterility issue but more to do with the bantam size chicks not being able to absorb the yolk sac of the LF sized eggs.
Thank You sir for your reply. Your info is very informative.:)

Should I pair the father to his female F1 daughter(assuming that she is intermediate in size) or let the two F1 siblings mate to produce the smaller F2? Will any of this pairing will eliminate or reduce the "lethal" genetics since i am assuming that the egg of the F1 hen will be smaller the LF egg.

If I get a male intermediate sized F1, should i pair it with a bantam hen to achieve the same objective as above?

For example the F1 that I got is not frizzy as i want it to be but inherits the regular feathers of his dad, Is there still a chance that the F1 will produce frizzy F2s?

BTW, my avatar is the frizzle LF hen. the roos is the alpha male that I posted on the other thread.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Should I pair the father to his female F1 daughter(assuming that she is intermediate in size) or let the two F1 siblings mate to produce the smaller F2? Will any of this pairing will eliminate or reduce the "lethal" genetics since i am assuming that the egg of the F1 hen will be smaller the LF egg.

If I get a male intermediate sized F1, should i pair it with a bantam hen to achieve the same objective as above?

For example the F1 that I got is not frizzy as i want it to be but inherits the regular feathers of his dad, Is there still a chance that the F1 will produce frizzy F2s?

BTW, my avatar is the frizzle LF hen. the roos is the alpha male that I posted on the other thread.
Yes, I would breed the father to ALL the F1 daughters that are smaller in size! If you are looking for certain traits (frizzy you mentioned) and F1 offspring that are small and have the trait I would consider breeding together (brother/sister) to see if you can duplicate it in the F2 mating. My understanding is the "lethal" issue, bantam chick inside a LF sized egg can be problematic for several generation just something to be aware of but will eventually breed out I'm guessing.....wish I had more practical information that would help you, most of this comes from learning "poultry genetics" as a hobby and I don't breed bantams myself any longer! Good luck and keep us posted.:)

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You again for sharing your knowledge, Jeff. :) I'll keep you guys posted on my breeding project. :)

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eggs hatched this weekend. here's a couple of pic of the chicks. :)

regular bantam chick on the left and my cross on the right. (I let my regular hen brood a couple of bantam eggs to see if she will adopt them and for size comparison.)

the biggest chick of the batch

my crossed brood with their step siblings

so far i cannot distinguish if i got some frizzy chicks...

·
1,466 Posts
good looking batch of chicks you have there
will you let the hen raise them?
i'm on another forum also
we have a member who has a place in the province
the trouble he had was if one of his birds went next door it never returned
i guess the people living next door were eating lots of chicken :D
he solved this be adding a fence about 2 meters high
he has also imported some large breed eggs that he hatched out there
i will be sending him some english orpington eggs so he can take them with him on his next trip
so things are looking up in the Philippines
soon maybe the chickens will have a lot more meat on them than they do now.

good luck
piglett

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good looking batch of chicks you have there
will you let the hen raise them?
i'm on another forum also
we have a member who has a place in the province
the trouble he had was if one of his birds went next door it never returned
i guess the people living next door were eating lots of chicken :D
he solved this be adding a fence about 2 meters high
he has also imported some large breed eggs that he hatched out there
i will be sending him some english orpington eggs so he can take them with him on his next trip
so things are looking up in the Philippines
soon maybe the chickens will have a lot more meat on them than they do now.

good luck
piglett
hi i will let the mom take care of the chicks til 3-4weeks old.

may i ask how can you send him eggs from the US to here? does he need to secure any paper works?

·
1,466 Posts
hi i will let the mom take care of the chicks til 3-4weeks old.

may i ask how can you send him eggs from the US to here? does he need to secure any paper works?
he lives in california most of the year
he did a really good job on packing them in his golf bag when he was heading to the Philippines from California.
the golf bag is too big for the xray machine so they were looked over by a real person not a machine.
even after the eggs went to the other side of the planet
50% of them still hatched, i feel that is a good number.

i will next day my eggs to him & then a couple days later he will take another trip to the "PI" in May
his place is in the province west of Cebu
the deal i made with him is that i want to stop by
in a couple of years & get some of my chicks from his place there
i wasn't looking for any money
but i fugured my farther inlaw would love to have some really large breed chickens at his place in Sibuyan

where are you at in the Philippines?

·
Registered
691 Posts
eggs hatched this weekend. here's a couple of pic of the chicks. :)......so far i cannot distinguish if i got some frizzy chicks...
Unfortunately Adobo, you will need to let these chicks grow to almost maturity before you will know which to keep from this breeding project! :)

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he lives in california most of the year
he did a really good job on packing them in his golf bag when he was heading to the Philippines from California.
the golf bag is too big for the xray machine so they were looked over by a real person not a machine.
even after the eggs went to the other side of the planet
50% of them still hatched, i feel that is a good number.

i will next day my eggs to him & then a couple days later he will take another trip to the "PI" in May
his place is in the province west of Cebu
the deal i made with him is that i want to stop by
in a couple of years & get some of my chicks from his place there
i wasn't looking for any money
but i fugured my farther inlaw would love to have some really large breed chickens at his place in Sibuyan

where are you at in the Philippines?
I see what he did there. :D

50% is still a great survival rate.

I found out that some of the exotic chicken breeders here are based in the Visayas area. He might be the one of those hobbyist/collector/breeder that i found over the internet.

I'm from the suburbs south of Manila. :)

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately Adobo, you will need to let these chicks grow to almost maturity before you will know which to keep from this breeding project! :)
full maturity is around 6 months, right?

my next project will be OEG X silver sebright bantams. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts