Balding around vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by MadDojah, Dec 20, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I did miss them for a long time. Don't get me wrong though, I kept about 15 of the birds that meant something special to me. I figured they would all be gone in a few years. A few years turned out to be ten and counting.

The quail are strictly company for the Hamburg. She didn't like it when I brought in another chicken when she ended up alone. So, I did a swap with a friend, he took the chickens and I took some of his quail. Worked like a charm. In the beginning she treated them like chicks.

I have a small flock of Guineas so I'm not totally out of birds. Although I've made the decision to not add to them anymore.

MadDojah likes this.
  2. MadDojah

MadDojah Member

Oh wow! 10 years is awesome! Strong happy babies. I’ve heard quail eggs are good right? Do you eat them or do you use them for meat birds? Funny, how when you give them babies they go into Mommy mode. I love it! Nature is awesome

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You never know what they're liable to do. I was so concerned about her being alone that I searched high and low for some pullets. Goes to show they are quite capable telling us when we've messed up.

No, the quail are strictly her company. I don't do anything with the eggs. Most of the time I can't even find them because they lay where ever they think is a good spot. There's a tell tale sound when I crack one and the Hamburg comes running over to partake of the now opened egg.

MadDojah and Poultry Judge like this.