Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm raising about 20 Cornish rock chicks and its my first time with meat birds. I've raised dozens of laying breeds and never had an issue with sick birds. I noticed yesterday though all of my meat chicks (2 weeks old) are bald on their bellies. I change their bedding often and they are separated from the big girls. Then last night I had one dead when I went out when earlier they all looked fine, other than the baldness. This morning I noticed a little blood in the poops on the floor of the shed. I also have 6 laying pullets that are the same age in with them. Any ideas what's going on? We don't medicate at all, except for holistic meds. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Cornish X are weird birds to raise. The bald bellies is normal. They grow so fast, and between the feathers growing slower than the chicks and the weight of the chick it just happens. As for the blood ........ What are you feeding ? how often are you feeding ? Have you given any treats ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the help!! The Cornish birds kinda creep me out honestly! They just seem abnormal or something. Is there another good meat breed I can try next time?

Poops look to be normal so thanks for that info. I had never seen blood in poop before so it freaked me out.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks so much for the help!! The Cornish birds kinda creep me out honestly! They just seem abnormal or something. Is there another good meat breed I can try next time?

Poops look to be normal so thanks for that info. I had never seen blood in poop before so it freaked me out.
lol yeah I dont like the cornish X either, I agree they are creepy. Out of the roosters I butchered last year, the Delaware, Barred Rock, and Dominque had the most meat. I want to say they were about 22 weeks old when we butchered. We did some production reds too but they were skinny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I feed Demor chick starter/grower and I just keep the feed troughs full. The only other thing they get is a little grass when I let them run around the pasture while I'm feeding the other animals. They still spend most of their time in the shed though until they are big enough to be out all day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apyl said:
lol yeah I dont like the cornish X either, I agree they are creepy. Out of the roosters I butchered last year, the Delaware, Barred Rock, and Dominque had the most meat. I want to say they were about 22 weeks old when we butchered. We did some production reds too but they were skinny.
Thanks! I think I'll prob just butcher unwanted roosters and maybe old hens from now on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Now is it the cornish crosses that grow abnormal or is it all cornish birds, including the purebred breed. Because a i want to raise a large good meat bird but dontwant any health issues

·
Registered
27 Posts
To raise cornish crosses successfully their food need to be restricted.
If you give them all they can eat the will develop leg problem and health problems.
They will also waste quite a bit of food as they will keep on eating even when their body cannot use the food.
It passes right through them.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I agree. If you raise them to hatchery specifications, you will run into problems...those guidelines are for commercial growers and not for backyard meat birds. The big guys can afford a lot of dead birds but who wants to grow birds just like the commercial ag guys and still be eating the same sick, unhealthy birds?

I've raised a couple of batches of CX and find them to be very sweet, hungry birds but they forage better than any other DP I've seen in all my days if you only feed them once or twice a day and only a set amount.

They don't have to be bald, creepy or have health issues if you raise them with some common sense and not like the commercial birds are raised/fed.

Here's a link to a YT vid of some of my CX birds and it can give you an idea of how they could be if they are treated well:

A pic of a few of the first batch with my DP flock...the CX is in the middle, the dumpy shaped bird. There are a few in the back field also..they are all 7 or 8 wks in this pic:

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I agree! They follow any advice that the commercial ag biz throws out there in regards to worming, feeds, husbandry and then wonder why their chickens don't thrive.

I've often wondered why these people are raising chickens "so that they have healthy foods for their family" and still persist in using the same methods to raise those chickens that produced unhealthy meat and egg sources in the first place!

It just makes no sense at all to me.... :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts