Back to 8-10 eggs a day !

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by cogburn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Well the summer strike is over !! The seasons are changing from 105 for highs to 80-90, still "Hot" but at least I'm getting more cackle berries from my girls now ! Daddy Likes It !!

Cog

Attached Files:

2. Terrib

Terrib New Member

We only have 6 hens, but right now only getting 1/day. The Sussex are still in molt, but the other three never started it and they're the ones randomly giving us an egg. I'll really be glad when this is over and they're back to production.

3. mjenk

mjenk Member

My 6 girls (Rhode Island Reds) went on hiatus this summer, too. At 3 years old, this is the first time that they all went into molt at the same time. I sometimes got 1 egg a day, but usually none. When I had one, it was in the mulch bedding in the coop, not in a nest box, and quite often the shell was distorted or broken. I can't wait until they start laying on all six cylinders again! My wife has been comparing cost vs return and threatening to start eating them if they don't comply.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

You'll have to sit down with those girls and have the "chat" with them mjenk. Let them know what mama has in store for them if they aren't compliant. :p

5. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

6. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

How long does the molt last?

7. cogburn

cogburn New Member

It varies really. I have some goin on 2.5 months now, others are thru in 3-4 weeks. And they molt differently too, some loose top of saddle and some hackle feathers, others the rump and tail only, it's a toss up. Youll really have to wait and see. And pour the protein to em during molt and I give a "poultry pack" its electrolytes & vitamins, during and after. It's a powder mixed in water you can get at any feed store.

Here's my chicken meds, I use often:
    Vetericyn (wound and infection care)
    Blu kote (antiseptic & wound protective dressing)
    Wazine 17 (wormer)
    Vet Rx (respiratory infections, colds, wheezing and sniffles, also mites and ear canker)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. mjenk

mjenk Member

Cogburn - thanks for that info, it helps. I didn't know to continue using the electrolytes after the summer and their molt. I did use it during the hottest months this summer and during their molt, but I'll get some more and keep giving it to them. I've never had any issues with mites or injuries with my girls, so I've never used any of the other meds. My molt is just about over, it has been over 3 months with some starting a little later and lingering in molt a little longer than others.

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Mjenk you are welcome. That's just me, I know everyone has different thoughts and ideas on things & what works best. Also with the meds it's best to have em and not need em than to need em and not have em, often when a medical problem/injury arises its not the best time to "run to town" I also keep other things in a box so it's all together, a chicken first aid kit.

Cogburn

10. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

How much do these cost?

11. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Vetericyn i use more on big animals horses cows pigs and it is the most expensive but it lasts a long time.. $25 big bottle/ $15 small (you don't really need any of it)

Definitely check these out or something similar..
    VetRx 4.99
    Blu kote 6.99
    Wazine 17 $12 there are cheaper wormers but I use this for pigs too.
    Poultry packs $1.50-$2 each

12. BikerChick

BikerChick New Member

I am still getting 4 out of six eggs daily.

13. Turtle

Turtle New Member

Out of five large hens, varying in age from almost three years to almost two years old, I am currently getting an average of two eggs a day. I also have a Bantam hen who suddenly decided to go broody on me about a week ago. She's sitting on an empty nest and gives me heck every day when I check under her for eggs...just to be sure.

14. kellikaye

kellikaye New Member

23 chickens, get between 19-22 eggs a day.

15. srockcastle

srockcastle New Member

We've got 50 birds and are getting around 36 give or take one a day. They are certified organic and are in a mobile chicken coup that gets moved every two to three weeks. I think the fresh grass helps in keeping them all healthy and laying. They will be going into molt soon but will also be putting in extended lighting to keep them a bit more active in the laying department.

16. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I have 4 red sex link hens and one silkie hen that isn't old enough yet and i have been getting 1 egg a day and now im at 3-4 eggs a day.

17. dfwquiltr37

dfwquiltr37 Junior Member

those are some great tips, I also on occasion add gatorade to their water just to give them a boost of electrolytes now and then when I see they need them. I am not sure if this helps at all but I also cut up garlic really fine or use a garlic powder on their food, and also ACV in all their water containers. I hear that also helps in them not getting worms.