Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Red's has discolored and patchy feathers at the base of it's tail.

Is this indicative of mites or fleas? It also has a very dirty vent.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
If it has mites or lice you can see the eggs at the shaft of the feathers and little bugs crawling around. If you check her at night and put the flashlight on her (move feathers out of the way around her vent and below the vent) you will be able to see bugs running from the light.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I would do as Aply spoke of first ... and go from there.

I can't use frontline, it breaks "ME" out! :mad: DE ... I used it for years with my goats but for some reason, it didn't work of us. If you can you use it and it works for you ... that is Grand!

... a good cleaning of the coop would be next and some preventive measures.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
They get them. I'm not sure anyone asked them what their opinion is on the subject. I have a lot of chicken friends that show so they are always washing and blow drying their chickens. Lol. I've done it twice for personal hygiene reasons. They didn't like it much in my opinion.

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Energyvet said:
They get them. I'm not sure anyone asked them what their opinion is on the subject. I have a lot of chicken friends that show so they are always washing and blow drying their chickens. Lol. I've done it twice for personal hygiene reasons. They didn't like it much in my opinion.
I'll keep that in mind! It's hard enough bathing kids and dogs... Now the chickens too??

Whew! A mom's (or dad's) work is never done! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Mine didn't like it and they had just been pooped on. Being dirty can also be stressful. Gotta weigh it out. If they're not well, then the blow drying might also be more important as well to prevent a chill. But yes, if they're very sick then any extra handling can be stressful and an adverse event. Just a poopy butt to me isn't that sick.

·
1,466 Posts
Mine didn't like it and they had just been pooped on. Being dirty can also be stressful. Gotta weigh it out. If they're not well, then the blow drying might also be more important as well to prevent a chill. But yes, if they're very sick then any extra handling can be stressful and an adverse event. Just a poopy butt to me isn't that sick.
oh if it's just poopy butt then i say dunk em in the kitchen sink:D
that is where my wife washes our birds when they get a little nasty looking.

piglett

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine seem to enjoy the warm water and have fallen asleep during bath/blow dry time. Except for my red star, Harriet. She hates everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts