Baby, safe and sound...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Poultry Judge, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

BABY.jpg The Baby survived an entire harrowing day with me out in the runs. He was chased by the Barred Rock and Aracauna hens and even menaced by the baby Cayuga duckling. He did find time to eat grass and take a dust bath. I took this pic last night when he was safe and sound with his younger compadres. He seems to get along best with the Eastern Wild Turkeys who have been flying up on the roof of the house. I have to get the netting finished. About a dozen years ago, I lost four or five I hatched due to them joining up with the local EWTs. The locals are now coming all the way up to the house to call the two in the runs. The current wild group is three adults and five juveniles. There is a larger flock of 21 but I haven't seen them in a week. I had one EWT, again a dozen years ago, who moved in with neighbor chickens a mile down the road. She became broody and hatched a clutch chicken eggs which she has been doing ever since. She stopped her wandering ways and still lives with the neighbors.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Poultry Judge

Sleeping 2.jpg I just noticed his crest feathers are growing back, he is sleeping on the kitchen table. That is Melissa's sleeve, Chief Enabler in this whole experiment gone terribly wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020

3. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Such a little cutie! I’m on Melissa’s side- how could she say no to that face?

I think that’s great how many EWTs are around you! Here they are still a... rare-ish sighting. Mostly from the shyness factor, but I know their numbers could certainly grow and still not be overpopulated.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  4. Poultry Judge

We used to have several large flocks of thirty or so. My local area is getting more and more Amish families and many of the men are avid turkey hunters.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Hanging out with Dad he's getting some life experiences. Some sound like a ton of fun if you can ignore the bullying by the other residents.

Did you say why you were raising the EWT's? Or is it like the rest of us, they look good?

6. Poultry Judge

I always liked them, I like the Black Spanish also, which are related. They are fun and I certainly worry about them less than the Peafowl. I don't free range them anymore because the EWTs will face off with cars during breeding season and I don't want to see any get hit. I have one neighbor down the road who free ranges their Peafowl and they have had two get hit.

7. Poultry Judge

Raise some! They are a sturdy entertaining bird!

8. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

I am certainly considering it in my future, thanks to you! I really just never considered that people could/would raise ‘wild’ turkey breeds! Now that I know....

And, ideally, we will sell this house and relocate to a bit larger and more rural property before we try that. I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to keep them enclosed, unless we could really make a large sized one. Idk, but it’s definitely something I’m considering.

And then Baby is making me wonder about that in the future too! You’re gonna get me in so much trouble....

9. Poultry Judge

He has to toughen up with the hens and ducks a little bit. I just thought the other day, that every single bird this year went through the front porch brooders. So, he knows all of them! They graduated and went to live outside and he just hasn't yet. This upcoming week is supposed to be fairly mild so he and the Peachicks can spend their daytime hours outside.

10. Poultry Judge

If you get to a bigger rural property, you can free range the EWTs as long as you raise them and they know where home and the treat bowl is. When you have children and grandchildren you need at least a few birds free ranging for tick and insect control.