Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
They are soooo cute,I can't stand it.I have a "pair" of Blue Crown Conures.Norton,a DNA sexed male and Isaac,who was given to us 10+ years ago.I quess she's around 25 y o and Norton I've had for 20 years this month(the longest I've been w/ any man though Dale is a close second LOL).They go through this little mating ritual and get really mean and hateful about this time of year.I think Isaac is a female,she reminds me of another female I had but she has never laid an egg.Either Isaac is a she or I've got gay birds......Sally,the African Gray and surgically sexed female(I didn't do that to her!!!),goes through some reproductive cycle,too.Last year she sat on a piece of a rawhide knot she chewed off a toy.It was way too big and she stood and straddled it for a few weeks until I finally and bravely reached in and removed it.If you think it's bad to reach under a chicken and steal the eggs,you ought to try removing eggs from something w/ a good sized hookbill.She can bite fingers off and can hang on like a pitbull....

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here they are today. The yellow one who is the oldest flew out of the nest box today. I have to pop the poop off their toes, or let it wear off. I got alot of it off but a bit remains.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
With the exception their tails are still short,they look like adults.They're growing so fast...

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep, like baby adults lol. The yellow is the oldest, then the green,and the blue is the baby. Yellow flew out of the nest box today, she couldn't get back to it so I had to help her. I moved the nest box to the bottom of the cage so they could climb in if they walked out

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Baby #1 out again today

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
#1 is climbing and practicing flying. It crash lands sometimes lol. The other 2 aren't out yet. But they should be within a week or two

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I bet it's too cute watching Yellow play.I love watching the antics of young ones.With all your babies,you must stay entertained.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Baby #2 is now out. One more to go

Yep I got alot of babies to keep me occupied lol

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Awww. Are keets good parents?

I was devastated when my canary died. It was so sudden. A few years ago I had a pair of Lady Gouldian finches that were so cute. I think they both died of Aspergillosis. The female started having seizures. A month later the male started falling down. Talk about hard to euthanize.

I guess I do prefer birds that don't like coming out of the cage. I've had parakeets and cockatiels(never again) that were a PIA about coming out of the cage.

Do keets do better with cage mates?

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Baby blue is now out. Nest box taken away.
My parakeets are wild, they are not tame, I got them that way. I got them a huge cage since they are not hand tame so they can fly in their cage. The parents I have were good parents. They both took care of the chicks . .
My Cockatiels are tame so I take them out all the time and go in one of the bedrooms since I have 2 cats. This way they can fly around (which they don't they just climb all over me lol).
Baby blue with clover it's mom.

Oh that's so sad about your lady gouldians,they are such gorgeous birds.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Clover is beautiful!!!My parakeet is wild,too.The first one I couldn't tame.He's getting old,he's 12 or 13 now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So cute. I tried raising a few baby cockatiels but there was something wrong with dad's incubator and they died right before their hatch date so he disinfected it again. But before I got anymore eggs my female died. I only have males now.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think mine are 5 years old, I got them last year. I didn't know they coukd live that long. I'm keeping all 3 babies, no one really wants parakeets around here, it's cockatiels , canaries and finches that are big sellers around here

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I never knew some birds lived that long,I knew parrots did, but not the smaller ones.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts