Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a baby duck from the feed store the other day with a couple chicks. I have a broody hen that couldn't hatch eggs so I wanted to give her some babies for her hard work, she took to them well and adopted them, but the duckling at some point in the day wondered around and got stuck behind my feed barrel and ants started attacking him. Luckily I caught it not too long after it happened and cleaned him up and took him inside, but now he keeps sleeping and his eyes appear to be stuck shut. I'm not sure what to do but I feel so bad that this happened to him, is there anything y'all know of that could possible help him get better and also maybe help his eyes?

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Warm salt water compress for the eyes. I keep saline for sensitive eyes for contacts for that type of eye care for any of mine that need it.

Baby might be overly stressed from being trapped. I don't know ducks so I can't recommend anything other than to keep it warm and give it time. Make sure it's eating and drinking even if you have to help it.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Ditto what Robin said, you can flush the eyes with saline solution. If they were fire ants, the duckling may have been stung. If that's the case, immediately give him 1/2 tablet benadryl. Crush it into powder and add it to 1 tablespoon water. Draw it up in a syringe without a needle and administer it orally, a couple drops at a time until it is all done. Wait 24 hours before redosing ONLY if necessary and it will be the final dose.
The benadryl will keep his trachea open so that he can breathe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts