Chicken Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You never make out selling. Only if the parent bird raises then you do good as your time and energy and formula adds up.
Everyone wants cockatiels down here, I out an ad on craigslist and I had emails like crazy, plus I'm on cockatiel forums on Facebook and the local bird group here in va . I already have a wait list for any babies that hatch. I have a pair of lovebirds sitting on 4 eggs too.
Plus I keep my prices low. Everyone else is price gouging the birds to $20] and up to $600 depending on color . My little red eyed chick who will feather out pure white is going for $400 and up.

I sell my cockatiels for $125. I also weed out the people who wouldn't be right for my birds as best as I can.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
That didn't take you any time to get known in the area. And you're not in the middle of a big city. Not shabby.

What's nice is if you wanted them to spend time outside you are in a good place for a huge aviary.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I could put them out in an aviary,but then I have to deal with hawks, foxes, weasels, snakes. I'd rather wheel the cages out on the porch and sit outside with them as its safer.
We are in the woods so the predators are all around.
Oh yeah at my low prices people want to buy. Why pay over 200 when you can pay 125..
But I only breed a few times a year so once I'm done in the fall I'm done until the following spring and I dont always breed all my pairs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I could put them out in an aviary,but then I have to deal with hawks, foxes, weasels, snakes. I'd rather wheel the cages out on the porch and sit outside with them as its safer.
We are in the woods so the predators are all around.
Oh yeah at my low prices people want to buy. Why pay over 200 when you can pay 125..
But I only breed a few times a year so once I'm done in the fall I'm done until the following spring and I dont always breed all my pairs.
Send more pics when you can!

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
And unfortunately casualties happen. The red eyed wf lutino that hatched a few says ago died. The parents kicked it in the shavings and I found it tonight when I did a wellness check. :( I pulled out the other tiny chicks and am now handfeeding the 2 small ones that hatched a few days ago as I dont trust the parents. This is the 2nd time I found they had done this, and stupid me should have pulled the 3 tiny ones right away.they are feeding the bigger chick and were not feeding the tiny ones. It happens with inexperienced parent birds. I'm so sad I didnt pull her right away:(

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
And unfortunately casualties happen. The red eyed wf lutino that hatched a few says ago died. The parents kicked it in the shavings and I found it tonight when I did a wellness check. :( I pulled out the other tiny chicks and am now handfeeding the 2 small ones that hatched a few days ago as I dont trust the parents. This is the 2nd time I found they had done this, and stupid me should have pulled the 3 tiny ones right away.they are feeding the bigger chick and were not feeding the tiny ones. It happens with inexperienced parent birds. I'm so sad I didnt pull her right away:(
Sorry, Maryellen. I know that's hard.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
They just started testing their wings so they cant fly good yet

·
Registered
808 Posts
Back in 2,000 I had a male and female and the female was laying eggs,most broke though. My dad had raised all sorts of birds he'd hatched in incubators and wanted to try hatching cockatiels so I brought him a couple eggs. Unfortunately right when they were ready to start hatching,they died in the egg. He had loaned the incubator to a lady for something and whatever she had cleaned the incubator with must have killed them. He re-cleaned the incubator to try it again but my female died so we never got the chance. As hard as it sounds to raise them by hand I'm sort of glad we never got any hatched,I'll stick with ducks and geese since they can feed themselves at hatch ;).. Now I only have a male anyway so I don't have to worry about it anyway. :)

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Is that a good or bad thing? Sorry I haven't owned cockatiels before..:p
It's good in a way as they are learning how to fly but bad as they cant control how they fly so they crash into stuff. It's like a child learning how to walk- they fall alot and have to learn how to work their legs

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's good in a way as they are learning how to fly but bad as they cant control how they fly so they crash into stuff. It's like a child learning how to walk- they fall alot and have to learn how to work their legs
True.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts