Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all this week I've had baby cockatiels hatching. Normally the parents feed them correctly at hatch and I pull them at 2 weeks old( sometimes I feed at hatch).
Well my pairs all decided to feed the newborns incorrectly....

So here I am feeding the wee ones every two hours....

Once they feather out they will look like this 3 month old from last year

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
So all this week I've had baby cockatiels hatching. Normally the parents feed them correctly at hatch and I pull them at 2 weeks old( sometimes I feed at hatch).
Well my pairs all decided to feed the newborns incorrectly....

So here I am feeding the wee ones every two hours....

Once they feather out they will look like this 3 month old from last year View attachment 40531 View attachment 40532 View attachment 40533 View attachment 40534 View attachment 40535 View attachment 40536 View attachment 40537
Wow! Thanks for the pics!

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Oh word, ME. They're ugly little buggers that really turn into beautiful swans. They'll absolutely tame when they mature since you're taking over for the parents.

What else do you have to do for them? Did you pull them the parents or will you leave them and take them out to feed? Do you have to keep them warm?

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They are small like pinky mice when born. Like an inch long. I have syringes ( no needle ones) that I use with a plastic tip to feed them baby bird formula.the temperature of the formula must be between 106 and 109 degrees

It's a grueling week of feeding every 2 hours when they hatch when I hsnd feed, then every 3 hours at the 2nd week mark, and as they get older the feedings get spread out more..
By 3 months old I wean them to millet and seed and veggies.
They are in incubators set at 92 degrees as they must stay warm until they get feathers.the temperature goes down 2 degrees as they get to a certain age and in the incubator I have a small container of water as they need humidity so they dont dry out.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the 3 older ones

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
And how many are you doing this with? Maybe if I was younger I could that kind of feeding but no chance these days.

But do the parents really feed them around the clock? Or is this an adjustment because of the hand feeding?

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm feeding 5 chicks right now,there are 3 eggs left to hatch too.

I am not sure if the parents feed during the night.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep lol.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7 total now. One more egg to go. There are 4 in here lol

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
You know what I'm thinking.

But then I'm in awe of what they become a they begin to grow into to those ugly little bodies. And little they are compared to their grown up size.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
A hard but fun experience to hand feed cockatiels. I always waited until the chicks were three weeks old; whenever possible. I don't have tiels any longer, but your pictures sure make me miss them more than I did before.

Super pictures! And a beautiful pearl bird.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! The chicks should feather out like last years baby did. #7 that hatched has red eyes so it's going to be fun to see it feather out. It's either going to be all white or pearl .
I'm going to keep it as I am retiring both WF pairs as they are 13 years old and I didnt check the bands when i bought them almost 2 years ago. It's not fair to breed them at 13. So now I'll keep the red eye one and one from the other pair to set up together to breed in 2 years. Now I have 3 retired pairs lol and one active pair.
Its alot of hard work and i tried to pull at 3 weeks last year but couldn't get them as tame as when I hand feed at hatch.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
OK, I'm confused. The way you talk about breeding it sounds like you're talking about puppies. Isn't the hen still going to lay eggs? Wouldn't he also still breed her?

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hens wont lay eggs unless I put a nest box on their cage. They still breed, but as long as I dont put a nest box up the females wont lay eggs

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
So they just quit laying? That one is hard to wrap my brain around.

Too bad chickens can't be taught that trick.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes, there are several of that bird species- or type?- that react that way. If the environment is ‘unfavorable’ for breeding for them, ie no nestbox, they just... don’t lay! Pretty neat stuff. But it also blows my mind that chickens lay as consistently as they do. I guess that’s really at each end of the spectrum!

I’m sure she or they can speak more to this behavior but I do know there are several just not the details. I think.

Oh- and duh- ME- they are so stinking tiny!! I would be so scared of hurting one. Omgoodness!!!

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
It really is hard to wrap my brain around that's all it takes to stop them from laying. And that the act of stopping laying doesn't lead to other physical issues like it can with chickens.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
It really is hard to wrap my brain around that's all it takes to stop them from laying. And that the act of stopping laying doesn't lead to other physical issues like it can with chickens.
All hookbills are vastly different from chickens in just about every way. Hand feeding hookbills is easy, tedious, and a huge responsibility when the chicks are hand fed at such a young age; as they grow it is far less difficult and not nearly as demanding.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Well, ME has been known to take on the impossible more times than I can count. I have no doubt that each of the newly hatched will go on to be full fledged juveniles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts