Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, they are growing! Perhaps an Australorp, I am going with Wild Raptors perched in a tree, in their native habitat, waiting to hunt something!

Meyers is in Ohio and they shipped mine to me in North Carolina. Very pleased with mine and the service with Meyers.
Meyer's is a family owned business and they are friendly to deal with.

Reactions: Slacker
Discussion starter · #32 ·
Gonna put the chicks out in the coop tomorrow. They are almost 5 weeks old and are outgrowing the 4x8 pen in the sun room. Looks like we ended up 14 girls and one roo! Lucky boy!! One of my grandsons chose the BO chick as "his" chicken when we first got them soooooo...I guess I'm going to have to deal with a roo! I have been paying special attention to him to get on his good side. So far he seems to like me. Been working on the coop and the runs for a couple of weeks and will post some pics soon. Going to have the 6 grandchildren carry the chicks/raptors to the coop one by one tomorrow. Should be a good day!!

Wood Tree Land lot Building Cottage
Plant Building Pet supply Tree Wood
Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Soil
Wood Wood stain Floor Hardwood Lumber
Wood Stairs Wood stain Hardwood Varnish
Wood Beam Gas Composite material Hardwood
Wood Brick Brickwork Siding Landscape
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Beak Feather
Vertebrate Mammal Poultry Fawn Beak
Bird Vertebrate Chicken Beak Poultry
Please tell me they're going to have supplemental heat.

And don't come back here without pics of the parade and the peeps in their new digs.
Didn't get any photos of the "parade" it started without my being notified. LOL. Took some photos inside and around the coop. Still a work in progress. They don't have access to the runs as of yet I'm almost done with the tunnels and need to add the wire mesh and some more dirt to the runs.

Reactions: Poultry Judge
Discussion starter · #37 ·
Wood Beam Gas Composite material Hardwood
That little buff, "Hi, there. Whatcha doing?"

I wish more could see what a real prefab coop is. Those people that build them know chickens and what their needs are.

I need to ask, how is that hardware cloth attached?
I attached the hardware cloth on the inside of the coop with screws and washers and "J" clips. I cut the mesh an inch larger than each opening and made a flange and screwed it in with 1" truss screws and washers. The mesh is attached to the 1x2 14 gauge wire that was already around the bottom of the coop. I bought a 48"x100' roll of 1/2x1/2 16 gauge black pvc coated wire to put around the lower half of the runs.

Reactions: Poultry Judge
So you're saying there is a double run of hardware cloth on the bottom? What got my attention was if there are any long runs and no attachment in the center. Call me paranoid but after a raccoon attack I see long runs with no attachment as a chance of one pulling that wire far enough to allow access to the coop.

It sounds like you're just as predator paranoid as I am.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
So you're saying there is a double run of hardware cloth on the bottom? What got my attention was if there are any long runs and no attachment in the center. Call me paranoid but after a raccoon attack I see long runs with no attachment as a chance of one pulling that wire far enough to allow access to the coop.

It sounds like you're just as predator paranoid as I am.
Yes the coop was made with 1"x2" 14 gauge wire that was attached from the outside. I tried to pull it off and it would not budge I would need tools to remove it. I added the mesh to the inside so it can't be pulled out. I have also started to add screws and washers to the outside wire just in case the predators have crowbars and hammers. I have gone outside the last 2 nights on patrol with a 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave several times. I also set up a field camera to get an idea of when the predators are lurking. My neighbors on both sides have dogs that are "barkers" so I'm always paranoid when they don't shut up.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.