Baby Chick pics!

Discussion in 'Chicken Stories and Images' started by Overmountain1, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Everybody loves the babies. Show me yours! I’d love to see them. Here are a few of my babies now- they’re about 5 weeks. Tiny is the porcelain roo, and he’s crowing but nobody else so far. We shall see. I’m not sure about Charlie, but I think roo too. Anyway, not for sexing purposes, just for fun! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Sweet babies. The feathers on the porcelains' feet are almost longer than they are tall.

Charlie is definitely your boy.

I don't have any baby pics on this computer but then it's been quite a few years since I had any. So any pics would be old. Very old.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

You do an excellent job with your timeline pics, they are wonderful!

4. Overmountain1

Thank you both, I’m a picture addict now that I have a camera attached to the phone. It’s just so simple now, so I likely take TOO many... there are likely more chicken and crab pics- ok almost def- than I have pics of my kids!! (is 10,000+ too many to keep on a phone? I think not!)

The boys don’t mind tho- they are boys hitting their hormonal stride, so they avoid it!

Charlie is a sweetie. He looks at Tiny so funny when Tiny crows... with the fluffy cheeks that popped out on him today it’s nothing but humor.

Old pics are sometimes the best pics.

5. robin416

Yeah, they're memories we might have forgotten if a pic wasn't there to see.

Even with the camera on my phone I rarely take pics. It's more an at the moment thing for an intentional reason.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  6. Poultry Judge

I am terrible with pictures and you are inspiring me to try to do better! If your kids participate in 4H or FFA, a big part of the projects is documenting them and being able to describe what you did and the process. A significant portion of 4H poultry judging is the students' knowledge of the bird. Now is the perfect time to contact your local chapter and get set up for next year. Most everything is online.

robin416 likes this.
  7. Overmountain1

Awesome! Thank you- we will certainly have to do that. I hadn’t yet simply bc I didn’t know how crazy Covid had made everything for that, and I really hate that it did hold him back from jumping in feet first etc. He’s ALWAYS been obsessed with sheep. He wants a sheep. Chickens were a better place to start, and now they’re a very close second to sheep.

I’m proud of him that he wants to be a farmer. I hope he grows up and still wants to. It may not be an easy life, but it can be so rewarding and fulfilling. IMO.

8. Poultry Judge

I still wanted to farm when I was in college and was absolutely forbidden to by those in the family still farming. I was raised Plain Quaker, no phone, electric etcetera, but they place an emphasis on education. Where I grew up is mostly Amish now.

9. Overmountain1

Farming is definitely a hard job, and often thankless. I can understand why that wouldn’t have been top of the heap, I think? I’m sure there were other reasons as well, not trying to act like I know it all- promise!

Sooo I got a video of Tiny crowing! I added it to the Tube so I could share it. Sooo cute and funny, too. He is trying SO hard, his body even curves to the side! I’m surprised he didn’t crow himself off the top there!

robin416 and Poultry Judge like this.
  10. robin416

I just took a sip of coffee, it took everything I had not to spit it out laughing.

11. Poultry Judge

12. Overmountain1

I know. It was a particularly good one that I caught.

13. Overmountain1

Charlie just wanted to say hiiii. And so did Miss Jackie. Turns our she’s not full D’Uccle (no muff and almost no beard) but she’s so sweet, who cares? Funny little things, these D’Uccle!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Poultry Judge

Look at that expression in the second pic! Those are great!

Overmountain1 likes this.
  15. robin416

I'd have to check but muffs and beards might not be dominant. There are non bearded Silkies.

16. Overmountain1

Oh she’s a hoot! She’s also very clumsy! I have witnessed her full on crash and roll over at least 5 times. Only one was worrisome really, but she does trip on her own feet... she was made for this family!

Now, Chip here, ok he’s not a baby chick anymore but he was giving me a look that night too....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. robin416

LOL I love that third one.

Yeah, my Prissy would fall over her own feet until she broke her feathers back so they weren't so in her way.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  18. Overmountain1

Oh I got a new one for ya today! Charlie (Mille Fleur) has finally figured out he can crow too! He has been standing with TinyRoo (porcelain) and when Tiny tries to crow, Charlie would look at him at every angle, and then stretch his neck out and stand there with his mouth open for a couple seconds. I rly wish I could’ve caught that too... but with no further ado, here is one of his first crows. Like, maybe his 3rd. Ever.

19. robin416

That really wasn't bad at all.

I know, some of the best pics we're never prepared for.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  20. Poultry Judge

Pretty good first crow!