Baby 2, Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Poultry Judge, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Baby 2.jpg This is the sole India Blue hatched out of three eggs on 9/22. It is already more vocal than Baby 1. Unless I come up with a better plan, this baby will be in a brooder in the house for the near future. The risk of course is that it will become more spoiled than Baby 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

No, that won't happen. The fact it has dominion over the keyboard kind of says it's already getting there.

Does it still have a duck companion?

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.

3. Poultry Judge

The duckling and the Peachick get along marginally okay. I think it will work for another week or so, that has been my experience this past summer. I have been trying to find another Peachick close in age but it is the end of the season.

4. robin416

So expect seeing more of a peachick sitting on keyboard hanging with the humans. Is that what you're trying to say?

5. Poultry Judge

Hypothetically, if a Peachick has control of the keyboard, what do you need the humans for?

Overmountain1 likes this.
  6. robin416

To open the cupboard to get their hourly treats.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  7. Poultry Judge

That is easily accomplished with human mind control.

robin416 likes this.
  8. Poultry Judge

Because, in the cupboard are coffee cans full of yummy dried mealworms!

robin416 likes this.
  9. robin416

Want something other than mealworms in your cabinet? Peanut butter suet balls.

I never dreamed there was anything other than millet that could get Guineas all excited. You should see them when I toss out a handful. It's an all out riot, knock each other over free for all.

10. danathome

danathome Active Member

Peachicks are cute. Mealworms are a favorite with all my birds. Too bad they're so expensive.

11. Poultry Judge

What's a good recipe for the Peanut Butter and Suet?

12. danathome

danathome Active Member

There are many recipes and videos online on how to... We make it for our numerous cardinals that come to the patio to eat during the Winter. Kimmi is working or I'd ask for her recipe.

13. robin416

You're kidding, right? I didn't make these. I found small 8 oz, I think, bags at WM. When it became obvious the Guineas loved them I bought an 8# box off Chewy. I have no clue what I paid.

The Quail like them too. Old lady Hamburg liked them the first few times now she's not so excited about them.

14. danathome

danathome Active Member

PJ-I have read that peafowl, peacocks are not sexually mature until they are three years old and hens are sexually mature at two. Another site said peahens could start laying eggs at one year of age. Your thoughts?

15. Poultry Judge

I'm no Peafowl expert. My experience regarding maturity is three years for males, two for females as an average. My hunch has always been that India Blues grow a little faster than Pieds, Black Shoulders or Whites, with Whites being the slowest. That however, may be due to the stock I have had access to. I believe, like everything else the older breeds grow slower than the hybridized strains.

16. danathome

danathome Active Member

Faster? Thank you.

I'm still trying to work up nerve to release the peateens; they certainly are big enough. Would you recommend them being clipped? I did so with my first two call ducks, but regretted it. My next three I didn't clip and just yesterday I saw one taking trial flights.

17. Poultry Judge

Yes, they are big enough. Mine do fly and they are not clipped. My Eastern Wild Turkeys fly and I have one antique Banty breed which flies. I do have about three thousand square feet under netting. But they still find their way out from time to time. One Peafowl breeder in Indiana told me one time that he clips just one wing on his wandering birds and he thinks that helps calm them. I never had the heart to do anything like that. I have had Eastern Wild Turkeys I've hatched in the past, fly the coop in breeding season. I also had two of the local wild EWTs on the roof of my new coop last week clomping around. They visit almost daily, calling back and forth to mine. The neighbors down the road free range their Peafowl but they haven't been up here to visit. I worry about their birds because they occasionally get hit by cars.

18. danathome

danathome Active Member

I clip one wing when necessary, but prefer not to. My concern is that the peas get frightened and fly... I have lost serama that way; they fly quite well. Not the frizzles and silkied, just the smooth feathered ones.