Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors small hen just hatched her eggs in tree about 8 ft high. I found them today. We have a coop for our girls...but he has a big back yard and barn. I'm so afraid they will fall and die. I thought they didn't lay eggs in trees. What should I do?.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
If the tree is on the neighbor's property talk to them. Make them aware and see what they want to do.

If it's on yours, time to get a ladder and set them up somewhere safe if the neighbor doesn't want to fool with them.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree with alerting the neighbors. What did she nest in? Is there something in the tree that held her nest? This needs a picture….lol

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Our neighbors small hen just hatched her eggs in tree about 8 ft high. I found them today. We have a coop for our girls...but he has a big back yard and barn. I'm so afraid they will fall and die. I thought they didn't lay eggs in trees. What should I do?.
It is not that unusual for hen nests to be up off the ground 8 feet or more. As a teen I remember a bantam that used an old pigeon nest high in the barn near the steeple. When she had first begun to lay there the barn had been full of hay, but by the time the eggs hatched the hay was much lower. The chicks jumped for it and all survived.

Definitely, tell the neighbor. As long as there isn't something hard to fall on, like a big rock, the chicks can jump the eight feet and run happily away. My serama often nest high and I mark the hatch day so I can bring the chicks safely to the floor. However, there have been times I marked the wrong day and the chicks had jumped from the nest; about 7 feet with no harm done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is not that unusual for hen nests to be up off the ground 8 feet or more. As a teen I remember a bantam that used an old pigeon nest high in the barn near the steeple. When she had first begun to lay there the barn had been full of hay, but by the time the eggs hatched the hay was much lower. The chicks jumped for it and all survived.

Definitely, tell the neighbor. As long as there isn't something hard to fall on, like a big rock, the chicks can jump the eight feet and run happily away. My serama often nest high and I mark the hatch day so I can bring the chicks safely to the floor. However, there have been times I marked the wrong day and the chicks had jumped from the nest; about 7 feet with no harm done.
Are you kidding??? I had a chicken who jumped a mere 4 feet down from my hand and it almost died 🙄 guess she’s just a weakling.😂

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Are you kidding??? I had a chicken who jumped a mere 4 feet down from my hand and it almost died 🙄 guess she’s just a weakling.😂
4 feet and it almost died?? Never heard of such a thing.....

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Not kidding. Chicks are better able to take a fall than older ones as their bones are still flexible and weigh next to nothing.
Didn't the chicken have wing feathers? Even without wing feathers a four foot fall should have been nothing. Must have landed badly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not kidding. Chicks are better able to take a fall than older ones as their bones are still flexible and weigh next to nothing.
Didn't the chicken have wing feathers? Even without wing feathers a four foot fall should have been nothing. Must have landed badly.
Yea she basically became paralyzed for 15 minutes straight. And was breathing really heavy. She’s good now though! We named her Droppy and we still have her!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts