Chicken Forum banner

Attack!!!!!!

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Energyvet 
#1 ·
My babies are INSANE. ahhahaah, i have to make sure to wear my croc shoes outside when i walk out (they hang out on the porch by the main door and where their cage is during the day).... BECAUSE.. they dive bomb my toes.. and BOY those little beaks HURT.. they have learned to fly as well and attack.. seriously cracks me up, and i end up laughing at them. When i sit in the yard they come flying at me, to see where they can land.. little farts! Today my dog was babysitting them, keeping the hens away and the cats away... and trying to keep them together in one place... BHAHAHA.. she was a busy girl!:p

#5 ·
I always wear flip-flops, and the ladies love to peck my toes. They seem to be drawn to certain colors more than others. If I use Blue, Green, or Black nail polish on my toes, I don't get pecked. Bare toes get pecked, but if I have pink, red, coral, forget it!!! Brutal lol.

It's a good thing that chickens are small. They would be terrifying if they grew to 5 feet or so.

#6 ·
That's why if a chick or hen gets injured, and actually bleeds externally, they should be removed ASAP (if possible) because it triggers a canabalistic response and they will peck and scratch endlessly on the injured one, it's really brutal, luckily I haven't had it happen to my bunch, but ive seen it in my grandpas flock a time or two, as a kid..
Also, have you ever heard of the red colored "sunglasses" invented for chickens to wear? In The 50's or 60's someone marketed them to keep them from focussing on blood and keep them calm at harvest time.

#9 ·
I was just browsing the site, reading a few posts while I was waiting on an earlier post of my own to be responded to and thought I would chime in here. My babies like to sit on my shoulder, which I love it when they run up to see me, but I have learned to be careful of my smile because they will peck my teeth and sometimes catch my lip if I smile at them while they are within reach. Also, my youngest son learned the hard way about chewing gum around chickens... our young Black Star roo was bound & determined to get that gum of his and poor Joey ended up with a fat lip. It wasn't funny to Joey, but I couldn't help but laugh. He thought the little roo was attacking him but I reassured him that it was only the bright pink bubble gum that little "Lightning" was after. I'm pretty sure that was the last time he was out with the chickens with gum in his mouth lol.

#10 ·
Hey all, sorry ive been AWOL... the babies are 1 month old today.. and SOO much fun, 3 went to a new home, but i still have 13.... here are some cute pics.. the 2nd one is Pokey from the last hatching from the green egg... she was born in August...only one out of that batch i kept... other is my son, one of the cats and pokey... see the blue cup? the babies LOOOOVE the blue cup and come running when they see you with it! hahaha

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.