At what age can you stop with the heat lamps?

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by Artemis_MA, May 16, 2018.

1. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

This is a semi-hypothetical question...

I am in my new home with my chicks, and they are happy under their heat lamps.

I still have my old home, two hours away, that I am preparing for placing on the market, but yesterday's storm (which traversed the geographic regions of both homes) tossed a tree onto my driveway at the old home, taking out my power, which won't be restored for two or three days.

Fortunately, the chicks are here, with power, and heat. So.. my semi-hypothetical question, how old should chicks be before they can survive without heat lamps? Let's assume ambient temperature is 70 degrees F. (The room overall they are in is perhaps 75 F, due to the heat lamps, but would probably drop to 70 if I'd lost power.)

2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Day-week old babies need it about 95 degrees and you decrease by 5 degrees each week until "room temperature".By then they've got feathers to keep 'em warm.I've thought about that because a storm took out our electric and it took a week for them to get it back on.I came up with hand/feet warmers,I usually have those around and could be used in an emergency.I'm sure others have ideas,too.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I watch the chick behavior. I have the heat source on one side. If they start staying or sleeping away from it, I lower the heat. Until not needed. Then I put them in a hutch outside on the patio and if I have cool nights, I use a heat lamp just focused on one area and see how they do . In the summer it's much easier. Once they feather they just go out into a hutch.

4. jthornton

jthornton Member

The Cackle Hatchery has a good guide for baby chicks here. The best advice was given above "watch the chick behavior". Chicks vote with their feet.

JT

5. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

Thanks. My broilers are telling me enough with the heat already! So I am putting a lower wattage light in there now.

The heritage layers are like.. ooh, wow, man, we just luv Florida!! So they will remain as they are !!

6. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA Member

As of yesterday, the broilers have dispensed with heat lamps all together. (They arrived May 3.) The layers still have one. Slower growers, and they're about five days younger.