Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago i adopted Asanti, he is a 15 year old ragdoll. His breeder gave up her cats as she got sick to a few rescues.

He is from the same breeder who i got my Kashi from 3 years ago same scenerio, tooo many cats and breeder got sick...

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
He's gorgeous! It's been a while since I've had one that gets your attention with their awesome looks.

I've made the decision to not replace any of mine that I lose to old age for just that reason. It's too hard finding drivers and caretakers for the animals when the need arises.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! He is cleaning up nicely. I got all the mats and knots out. He loves to be brushed. He is the only cat out of the other 3 that seamlessly blended in after a few days. I love the ragdoll personality. so laid back an easygoing

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
When was the last time you did a head count for all of the creatures you've gathered up? I'm not including the two humans in the creature count.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol the other day. 3 goats, 2 dogs, 3 cockatiels, 7 parakeets, 1 house hen, 4 cats, 20 chickens

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
Do not tell me what your feed bill is.

When I still raised Silkies the hubs would ask, how many do you have now. He nearly dropped his teeth when I hit 100. That didn't include the Guineas, hamburgs, egg layers, d'Uccles, Dutch or Faverolles. But he didn't know that.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not that bad. I spend $15 every 2 weeks in the winter for the chickens. Once spring hits its $15 a month since they free range. The inside birds i buy a 50lb bag of seed for $27 from amazon every 2 months. Dog food is $45 every month. Cat food is $110 for canned every 2 months and $15 for dry every 2 months .

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh the goats go thru 50lbs of alfalfa pellets and their brown pellets every 3 months at $20 total. They eat mostly hay, we buy 20 bales a year at $6 a bale that lasts all year

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
One 15 pound bag of the one dog I have left costs me nearly 40 and only lasts two weeks. Even now that I only have four chickens left I probably go through about the same amount of feed each month. Add in the four guineas, is part of the reason I can through 50# in a month.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So. June 2nd asanti was diagnosed with nasal cancer:(
His forehead at his nose swelled up and i just knew it. The vet confirmed it a few days later. She gave him 2 weeks....
Its been almost 2 months since his diagnosis and the time has come.

Im having a vet come to my house next week . I wont stress him with a car ride as he throws up and has diarrhea. i want him to have his dignity.
He is still eating great, but is losing weight , sleeping more, and hiding....
Im.really upset , but i know at least these last 5 months he knew what love and a real home were .
I took him outside last night to see the chickens ,goats, and to feel the grass under his little paws..he really enjoyed it
20190726_194838.jpg
20190726_194131.jpg
20190726_190820.jpg

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
I'm so sorry, Maryellen. This is the most difficult position to be in when it comes to the fur babies.

I am so with you on having the vet come to the house. It's what I've always done for the same reasons even if mine didn't stress going for a ride. I want them in the space they know and to not be upset in some cold office.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to make the decision on july 27th. The cancer exploded on his nose and within 2 days he couldnt breathe and his gums were pale. he got almost 6 months with me. The last 2 weeks we did walks outside which he love
You can see the difference in his nose. In 2 days it just went wild.

I held him the entire time so he died in my arms. I wasnt going to let him die on the table. He got both injections in my arms.
IMG_20190808_200544_967.jpg
IMG_20190809_142254_427.jpg
IMG_20190814_182839_272.jpg

·
Administrator
18,184 Posts
I'm sorry, Maryellen. That is one of the hardest decisions us as keepers of the pets has to make. You did the most unselfish thing by relieving his suffering.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sad to hear, but always happy when someone gives an animal a good life until the end. I've always held and stayed with my animals when they've been euthanized.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts