Are these Male or Female?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Chicks1234, May 18, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, we try. We want the keepers of the birds to have as pleasant of a time with them and that the birds have the best living arrangements they can have. Within reason. :)

2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi :) yes this is a rooster, no doubt. To help clear up a few things. If a rooster breeds a hen there is a good chance that the egg is fertile but it's not 100%, especially with a young rooster. As far as eating a fertilized egg goes, something I learned a long time ago is that eggs are like glow sticks, in a glow stick there are 2 chemicals, the stick does not glow until the 2 chemicals are mixed together by bending the stick until it makes that crack noise. Same with eggs, (don't crack them to make them fertile...) in order to make a chick you need the egg, the sperm ( representing the 2 chemicals in a glow stick) and specific heat (the bending until it snaps). Without the heat (a hen sitting on the egg or putting the egg in an incubator) there is no chance of it becoming a chick ever. Just like a glow stick will never glow if you don't bend it. So if you collect the eggs every day, even if the rooster has had his fun with the hens, you will never have to worry about eating an egg that could be a chick. The egg is still TECHNICALLY fertilized but it cannot become a chick without the proper heat for the proper amount of time (as well as specific humidity etc but that's a conversation for another thread and time)

Chicks1234 and robin416 like this.

3. Chicks1234

Chicks1234 New Member

Sylie, thanks for the explanation! that's very helpful to know! :D

Sylie likes this.
  4. TomC

TomC Active Member

:D:D Every flock needs an ol' hen like this' :D:D

5. robin416

He was the only one that was ever that bad that he needed to knocked down a few pegs. And the hen wasn't much more than a month older than him. It was her personality that said not in my house.

TomC likes this.
  6. Chicks1234

Chicks1234 New Member

IMAG7889.jpg Hi guys, I was able to get some close-up picture of the tail feathers and it seems that they are quite rounded. Do young roosters have rounded feathers at the tail like these too?

I don't mean to second guess you guys, but perhaps my previous pictures didn't have a good angle... just in case.... o_O

7. robin416

Don't worry about second guessing, I do it all of the time.

But I'm going to leave this one alone. You've definitely got me second guessing.

Chicks1234 likes this.
  8. Chicks1234

Chicks1234 New Member

Yeah, I understand it's really hard with pictures.

So I suppose I will need to just wait and see... until it fully crowns and crows?

9. Chicks1234

Chicks1234 New Member

It's been about 2 months now, just want to give an update.

They're all laying eggs! So I guess it's a female afterall!

10. robin416

So, the last bird you posted a pic of turned out to be a girl?

I guess we're human after all. Some of them just toss us all sorts of challenges because they can.

What did the EE turn out to be?

11. Chicks1234

Chicks1234 New Member

I think they are Ameraucana. The eggs are light green. Super cute! :D I'm suspecting that only 1 of the 2 has started laying eggs so far. So we'll see.