Are these chicken eggs still good?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by bigsisterto3, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bigsisterto3

bigsisterto3 New Member

I was seeing some great veins at day 7-8. Then I forgot and ended up turning the eggs about 4 hrs late. The next day they both look like this? Is this a blood ring? Should I just get rid of them?

2. bigsisterto3

bigsisterto3 New Member

IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I can't tell from your pic what you're seeing in real time. A blood ring is exactly as it sounds, a red ring going around the shell.

Forgetting to turn the eggs should not have any negative effect on the eggs since you picked back up with your routine. I can't tell you how many times I would get busy and forget.

bigsisterto3 likes this.
  4. bigsisterto3

bigsisterto3 New Member

It is quite hard to get a pic. There are no visible veins though. There is a solid colored “circle” on one half of the egg.

5. robin416

Is it red?

If you leave your hand off the egg and shine the light up from the bottom it might turn out more clear.

6. bigsisterto3

bigsisterto3 New Member

Well, with them being green eggs and I since don’t have a proper egg candling l can’t see through them without my hand. I can’t really tell, but it appears that the “dark” blob is red. Also these eggs are only 9 days old.

7. robin416

https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/resources/candling-pictures/ Scroll way down the page. The first pic of a blood ring is what is seen most often. The second isn't as clear but you can just barely see the circle.

The blob is not a blood ring. It's liable to be the flashlight lighting up any blood vessels the embryo is developing.

I wouldn't get overly worried at this point.

bigsisterto3 likes this.
  8. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I don't see a problem here. The blood ring that indicates a problem is USUALLY horizontal when the egg is turned up on end. Not always but generally speaking. Keep an eye on it and keep us updated :)

9. bigsisterto3

bigsisterto3 New Member

Thank you. I have noticed as well that when I turn the egg that dark blob doesn’t move. It stays with the egg shell.

10. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't surprise me. Give it more time, see what happens. It could be a bad egg, it's hard to tell but at this point there is nothing that says definitively "bad" so just go with it, it's not going to hurt anything to keep watching it for a few days or week.

bigsisterto3 likes this.