Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a trio of Pekin ducks a couple weeks ago from the local feed store to put in my grandparents pond. They weren't very small when I got them so I don't know how old they are. Just wondering if they are big enough to take to the pond with the other ducks yet. Here is a pic I took today

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reinerchick said:
Have they been introduced to any water yet? (other than there waterer)
Yes they have a little swimming pool in their pen but its not very deep. They can stand up in it.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Are the other ducks domestic as well or wild? Will they have shelter? Will you still be providing feed? From the looks of them they are probubly about 4 weeks old. Personally, I would not put them out to a pond yet. They still dont have all their feathers ( most yes but not all) their feathers will not be completely water proof yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apyl said:
Are the other ducks domestic as well or wild? Will they have shelter? Will you still be providing feed? From the looks of them they are probubly about 4 weeks old. Personally, I would not put them out to a pond yet. They still dont have all their feathers ( most yes but not all) their feathers will not be completely water proof yet.
They are domestic as well. And my grandparents feed them in their yard. And the pond has an island with 55 gallon plastic drums for shelter. But I will just keep them until they have all their feathers to be safe. I just wasn't sure. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
They are domestic as well. And my grandparents feed them in their yard. And the pond has an island with 55 gallon plastic drums for shelter. But I will just keep them until they have all their feathers to be safe. I just wasn't sure. Thanks :)
Sounds like they will love it there. :) I would keep them home for maybe another week, two tops and they should be good to go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would keep them home a little longer and slowly introduce them to deeper and deeper water. And when you think they are ready, take them to the pond and watch them to see how they do :) good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We don't introduce ducklings to water until they are 4 weeks old. Wild ducks and domestic ducks raised by a hen receive the protective oil for their feathers form the hen. Ducklings purchased from a breeder or incubated/hatched and raised without a hen do not have the capability to oil their down and it will become water logged. They will get chilled and die, or become water logged and drown. It is best to mist your ducklings lightly with luke warm water a couple times a day until their pin feathers appear and start replacing the down. You will notice when they preen their heads will travel over the top of their tail area, then they will brush their head across other areas of their body. The oil gland is located just above the base of their tail feathers on their back and they are "spreading" the oil. At that time (4 weeks) I would introduce them (supervised) to a shallow kiddie pool. It may take several days until they are comfortable with the pool and actually enter it. I would not force them into the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts