Are silkies easy to care for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Stories and Images' started by BluebellTheHen, Sep 22, 2020.

1. BluebellTheHen

BluebellTheHen New Member

Hi guys, does anyone know if silkie chickens are easy to care for? I'm buying some new hens but I'm not sure what breed and I was thinking about silkies!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

They absolutely are easy to care for. But for their safety should not free range without supervision.

Bearded Silkies can not see anything coming at them so are easy targets.

Many of my non hatchery Silkies lived beyond 8 years. The oldest was 14.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

4. BluebellTheHen

BluebellTheHen New Member

Thanks! Also, my coop can get a bit muddy in the winter, would I still be able to keep them as they are so fluffy!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

See the girl in my avatar? If she saw a mud puddle she was in it rolling around. The first time I saw her after she hit a mud hole she was a mess. The next morning she was bright, shiny white.

They're basically chickens that can't fly. There are a few things that make them different, like hair cuts so they can see. Nail trimming because some just don't do the digging/scratching around that the others do.

They can be more of a target where mites are concerned.

It was a toss up on which breeds were more work than others. They each had their "thing" like my flyers who were not going to do what I wanted and had to deal with it because they could fly or run like the dickens.

6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I try to put down scrap hay in any muddy areas to keep the birds cleaner. Ducks especially, will try to work on a mud hole even if its right nest to their pond.