Chicken Forum banner

Are peacocks loud?

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  birdguy 
#1 ·
I have limited experience with peacocks.

Are they loud like guineas?

#5 ·
Neighbor about a 1/4 mile down the road had one. It never stopped hollering!!! The next door neighbor to them complained so township made them get rid of it and the rest of the farm critters. Course, they were in town so having a handful of fainting goats, peacock, chickens with a roo, etc. on an acre was a bit much.

#8 ·
Curious;

Our Peacock makes a couple of different "honking/beeping noises. They can be loud, but our seldom makes any noise. He is about a year old and still staying with the chickens. I have built him a high roost in the barn.

He is very curious and bold. Always checking things out. I once saw one of the neightbors dogs creeping toward something behind our barn:confused:. I stepped out to run the dog off and saw the Peacock creeping toward the dog:eek:. My grand daughter named him Fireball.:rolleyes:

Attachments

#9 ·
Are Emu's loud?
Ours were not ... They make a booming sound (some call it drumming). I've read reports where the booming can be heard over a mile away but maybe where ours were young (all around a year old), it did not seem so.

Everyone that came to the farm love to watch them "dance" and I will agree that they were so very cool. Down side, they ate more than my dairy cow and we were lucky to get them back to their lot the first time they got out. After that the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence. (which made it harvest time)

#15 ·
Ok, looks like we have some peafowl experience here. GAchicks wants peafowl. I think she's asking for trouble. A 4' horse fence is not going to stop them from visiting neighbors and crossing roads. Our immediate neighbor would love them and would not mind the noise. However, the people across the street might not be so happy about them. We certainly have enough property that no one could complain about code violations, but that doesn't mean they won't snipe them from across the road. What says you?

Back to that 4' fence..... is that enough for an Emu or can they jump over a fence? All I know about them is they can hurt you with those feet and legs and they make tasty bar-b-q.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.