Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our chickens have been in their coop awhile now as they are now 15 weeks old and I have two concerns the first being when do they figure out the roosting poles? They never use them they would all rather be on the floor of the coop. The poles are made of 2" round dowels. HELP!!!!! My second concern is every time I try to leave the headlamp off at night I find the girls huddled in corners on top of each other it's above 50 here at night and they should be used to the temps by now HELP!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
As soon as I turn the heat lamps on within seconds they are under the lights is this normal.
Heck, yes! Given the choice they will chose 'warm.' And their life to date has been to gather under the warm sunshine of the lamp. No lamp? They miss it and huddle together for comfort and assurance.

They are young. Give them time. A fixed daily routine is very important to chickens and it takes time for them to change their habits.

My chickens are three years old and still, to this date, on cold winter mornings my wife will plug in their heat lamp in the corner for a little while. They will all gather under it, groom their feathers and stretch out in the 'sun.'

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info I don't really think they are dumb I love them to death but I needed some reassurance that I'm doing things right by them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope they are just being chickens and I was the dumb one in this situation. Had to move things a little and immediately they started roosting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts