Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent all day yesterday tearing down my aquarium and moving it from the bedroom into the dining room so I could see it more.It was infested w/ snails that tagged along w/ a newly purchased fish.Didn't think much of it when I dumped them in the tank 4 yrs ago.They multiply like crazy.They ruined a filter.I had tried to clean them out a few times before and thought I did until I saw one a few weeks later and then dozens again(found out the hard way you only need 1 snail to make more snails).So this time I bought new gravel and chose natural river gravel.It must have came straight from the river,it took me over 2 hours to clean the mud out of 20 lbs. .I also ran the filters and heater in bleach water for a couple of hours and wiped the inside of the tank w/ bleach water.Right now I only have a 15 y o African Spotted Feather Fin Catfish(he hides in a big head and when he sticks his face out he looks just like a rat.whiskers and all:eek:).Next month or Feb,I will be getting something else but am going to wait until I know for sure the snails are gone.If they are gone,not sure what fish I want.If they aren't gone(if they survived the bleach attack they deserve to live in the tank)I'm going to get a freshwater Puffer whose main diet is snails but is not a community fish so it would be the only other fish in the tank.The last one I had would play w/ my finger and figured out the tender spots.I didn't know then they ate snails and I fed her frozen brine shrimp and hand fed her crickets.She lived over 10yrs but is a high maintenance fish.It depends on the snails...

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
So you're doing fresh water fish? I used to have a tank a few times in my life. Then I got a big tank with some Discus and darn I just couldn't keep them alive. So I guess I gave up on them. I loved Gourami's and always had a Betta.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Aquariums can be like chickens, very addictive. I had four set up once long, long ago.

When I ended up with a few snails I cracked them and let the fish have at them. I'd scrape the egg cases off the sides of the glass for them to have fun with.

I never ended up with too many but it makes me wonder if the diatom filter I used once a month had anything to do with that or the plecostomus fish I had in the tank.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a plecostomus for 10 yrs,he was 10" long but he died last month.He was so big I couldn't have any decorations in there except the other fish's hiding place.Now the featherfin is swimming all over and checking out his new home.There are new plants of multiple colors and other hiding places.I've had an aquarium in my bedroom for 40* yrs and now I really miss it but I don't spend much time in there.Plus,I'm not hearing running water all night and haven't had to get up to pee the last 2 nights.Coincidence?!?!

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
I would hear my plecostomus when it was active at night banging in to the heater. He finally smacked it hard enough he broke it.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I had tanks growing up. At my last house I had a 55 gallon I had set up beautiful, bought a few hundred dollars of tropical freshwater fish, a small catfish, some plecos,etc. As the catfish grew , my beautiful expensive fish kept disappearing. .. so one night I stayed in the living room, lights out, beautiful blue night light on in my tank. After a hour my beautiful red tailed catfish that had literally tripled in size from a mere 2 inches to a whopping 8 inches long came out of hiding in the plants and immediately ate one of my prize fish...... yep .....then ate another one. .. I was in shock. So next day at work I called the fish store where I got all my fish, and the guy casually told me that the red tail cat fish grows to over a foot long and eats the fish smaller then it. Well I flipped out and asked why the heck did you sell him to me and not tell me... he didn't have an answer. ... so that weekend I sold the catfish and learned to never buy catfish for a tank..... after all my fish were devoured I got 4 parrot fish. They were coool. Then I got a divorce and left the tank as my apt was on the 2nd FL and they wouldn't let me have a tank :(. .

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I had several aquariums in my past. I had mostly Gouramis, who come to the top for air.

Salt surely kills snails.

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I had several aquariums in my past. I had mostly Gouramis, who come to the top for air.

Salt surely kills snails.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny this post came back up,cuz I was gonna bring it up.I bought 2 freshwater puffers yesterday.I floated the bag they were in and 1 of them kept trying to eat it's way out of the bag and my 12 y o African Spotted Feather Fin Catfish(say that 3 times fast!!!)was having a hissy.I opened the bag and turned them loose and fed them some brine shrimp.As they were trying to eat,so was the catfish and he didn't want to share and started chasing the puffers away.It was funny to watch.I have never seen him so active and out in the open.It even seemed like he came to the front and was trying to tell me to get them out,usually he goes and hides when I watch him.He lived w/ another puffer for several years and the puffer picked on him but now he's the big guy and I hope he gets over it.I just added a new plecostimus 2 weeks ago and he didn't like that ,either.But now the downside-I got rid off all the snails and snails are the preferred food for puffers and chewing the snails wears down the bony plate in their mouths.Now,I have to go find some nuisance snails and reintroduce them in my tank.I wasn't going to do puffers again but I saw a really cute active one at,I can't believe it,Wally World.I usually only buy fish from a fish store but it was so active.I saw it Thurs and kept thinking about it so I went and got it and a smaller one yesterday.My last one liked attention and would play w/ my finger.She would bite it and learned where the tender spots were and would go for that area right away.I'd buy her some crickets and I would hold one and she bit off the head and 1/2 the body and chew it up,you could hear her crunching it,then she took the 2nd 1/2,spit out the back legs and crunch that up.She was a really neat little fish.I hope the new ones are as neat.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you take pics of fish in an aquarium?I will find out after I'm done here and got the mop made for the smoking pork roast.If they turn out I'll post them in a little while.....

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can take pictures of the fish.The first one is the 2 puffers.They move constantly and it was hard to get a good picture.The other is the long time resident featherfin catfish.The pictures are sideways and I don't know how to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The catfish is still having hissies about his new tank mates.I fed my last puffer frozen brine shrimp and am feeding these the same.When I dump them in the catfish gets excited.I think he missed the shrimp and is glad I'm feeding shrimp again.I fed him fish food,algae tabs and pellets for bottom feeders after the 1st puffer died.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked in my aquarium this morning like I always do.I noticed the little puffer was buried in a plant,not moving and it's tail was in it's face.It didn't look good and then I noticed the other 1 was in another plant,all balled up.I was getting ready to have a hissy when the small one saw me and let go of the plant.It was sleeping.I never saw my last puffer do that and I had her for the better part of 10 years.I've had them a little over a week and they get excited when they see me(wanting food just like the chickens).Now I'm glad I got the puffers instead of a variety of fish.I'm still looking for snails for them...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts