Apple cider vinegar...

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mamachickof14, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Whats the purpose of putting apple cider vinegar in the chickens water? I read it on one of these threads that someone does?? (Can't find it?) Jen:)

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Mostly to keep out green slime build up in the water. Also has benefit to the chickens that drink it.

3. rob

rob New Member

Cider Vinegar for chickens is acidic and it is this acidity that means ACV is a mild anticeptic and will kill a number of germs. In addition to this, it is claimed to act like a mild antibiotic. Antibiotics kill infectious bacteria that can cause disease in chickens. it has also been proven to help with stress.

4. morgan_48612

morgan_48612 New Member

How much do you add to their water?

5. rob

rob New Member

about 5ml or a tea spoon

6. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I've also read its a natural dewormer and that the organic kind, not like you get at the grocery store, is the beneficial kind.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

BUT, and a huge but here, :eek:, don't use it in a galvanized metal waterer. Just in the plastic ones. It will pit the metal of a galvanized one.

8. BigECart

BigECart New Member

Rob, is that a teaspoon per gallon?

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Just a few tips ...

Make sure you are getting "true" ACV ... ;)

Also (and this is just me) I add it to the water once per month for a week for the health benefits or in times of stress. (adding new chickens, critter attack etc.)

10. rob

rob New Member

i put it in about half gallon every 6 weeks.

11. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Is it bad to put a little bit, tablespoon or so, everyday? I have a hard time finding the no pasteurized kind.

12. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

To much of a good thing can be bad...IMO

Check health food stores or local stores for true ACV ... It is not hard once you learn to check the label...

13. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

You want the ACV that states on the label "With The Mothers." The health food section in Kroger carries ACV "With The Mothers." It is not pasteurized, it is raw. I put a few capfuls in a gallon every time I changed the water. It also helps a gal absorb calcium, if you have soft shelled eggs.

And will kill the smell of a skunk off a dog better than tomato juice!

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Haha, I know pinapple juice works well for skunks. It makes sense vinegar would too. It's so obvious once you think about it. Cool Fuzz.

15. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Is the apple cider vinegar that you buy in the supermarket for cooking purposes OK? Or does it need to come from a health store?

16. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Health store. Needs to be non pasteurized. I've read the supermarket stuff has had all the real benefits to it removed due to the pasteurization.

17. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Wow, I thought the only thing that got pasteurised was milk!

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

OJ too I'm afraid. :-/

19. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

I've been adding a little to my ladies' water lately & it really seems to cut the slimy stuff in their water bin thingy! :) I'm glad I ran across this thread!

20. kiwicsi

kiwicsi Junior Member

Our health food store sells it, but it doesn't come cheep (sorry, cheap). But then I discovered our feed store (where I will be buying pellets, straw, etc) sell it in 5 litre containers for a lot less per litre than the health store. And since I'm an accountant, that saving makes me very happy. :D