Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the purpose of putting apple cider vinegar in the chickens water? I read it on one of these threads that someone does?? (Can't find it?) Jen:)

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Cider Vinegar for chickens is acidic and it is this acidity that means ACV is a mild anticeptic and will kill a number of germs. In addition to this, it is claimed to act like a mild antibiotic. Antibiotics kill infectious bacteria that can cause disease in chickens. it has also been proven to help with stress.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've also read its a natural dewormer and that the organic kind, not like you get at the grocery store, is the beneficial kind.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
BUT, and a huge but here, :eek:, don't use it in a galvanized metal waterer. Just in the plastic ones. It will pit the metal of a galvanized one.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Just a few tips ...

Make sure you are getting "true" ACV ... ;)

Also (and this is just me) I add it to the water once per month for a week for the health benefits or in times of stress. (adding new chickens, critter attack etc.)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
To much of a good thing can be bad...IMO

Check health food stores or local stores for true ACV ... It is not hard once you learn to check the label...

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
You want the ACV that states on the label "With The Mothers." The health food section in Kroger carries ACV "With The Mothers." It is not pasteurized, it is raw. I put a few capfuls in a gallon every time I changed the water. It also helps a gal absorb calcium, if you have soft shelled eggs.

And will kill the smell of a skunk off a dog better than tomato juice!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Haha, I know pinapple juice works well for skunks. It makes sense vinegar would too. It's so obvious once you think about it. Cool Fuzz.

·
197 Posts
Is the apple cider vinegar that you buy in the supermarket for cooking purposes OK? Or does it need to come from a health store?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Health store. Needs to be non pasteurized. I've read the supermarket stuff has had all the real benefits to it removed due to the pasteurization.

·
Happee ChickenSuperMomma
150 Posts
I've been adding a little to my ladies' water lately & it really seems to cut the slimy stuff in their water bin thingy! :) I'm glad I ran across this thread!

·
197 Posts
Our health food store sells it, but it doesn't come cheep (sorry, cheap). But then I discovered our feed store (where I will be buying pellets, straw, etc) sell it in 5 litre containers for a lot less per litre than the health store. And since I'm an accountant, that saving makes me very happy. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts