Chicken Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what this is? Orange flowers and pear-like fruit. When we first moved here I think there were small stumps so it looked like small trees had been cut and this came up from the stump and roots. But, I am not positive my recollections are right.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Absolutely no clue. If you can get a pic with a blossom and some leaves a google search might pull it up for you.

What I got from the pics definitely was not what you have.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pretty certain it's ot any type of azalea---too early for them to bloom. I have no idea what it is though. There is an app called Plant Snap which should help ID it. If you find out, I'd like to know what it is.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Azaleas are blooming in my front yard. Some of the newer varieties will bloom multiple times a year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Azaleas are blooming in my front yard. Some of the newer varieties will bloom multiple times a year.
Wow. You must be even further south than me. (Midlands of SC here.) Wish we had locations next to folks names.
Don't recall ever seeing any type of fruit on any azaleas I've ever seen and that bush/shrub just doesn't look like an azalea to my untrained eye. Tried doing Plant Snap I mentioned earlier, but it just doesn't work with a picture from my computer screen.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
You're right on the fruit. I forgot all about that.

I was going to try it too but saw it needed to be done from the actual pic. I guess we'll all just keep guessing.

If you hover over someone's avatar it will tell you the location. I only knew you were in SC because of your user name.

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
You're right on the fruit. I forgot all about that.

I was going to try it too but saw it needed to be done from the actual pic. I guess we'll all just keep guessing.

If you hover over someone's avatar it will tell you the location. I only knew you were in SC because of your user name.
Thanks for reminding us of that feature. It's a 100% chance of rain here, so I'm going to the hardware store and work on a nonprofit grant.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had numerous azalea over the years and this is not one; it may be a related specie. My mother-in-law has azaleas that are fall blooming.

As to the fruit. I remember what Kimmi does not. She does not remember any fruit on these bushes, so???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I will certainly watch and take pictures this season to find out which is right. Even with the supposition that there is no fruit I still find no match in flowers and leaves. The flowers are the same shape of pear blossoms. The leaves, too, are the same shape as pear but much smaller; like what happens in bonsai-dwarfed.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...what this is? Orange flowers and pear-like fruit. When we first moved here I think there were small stumps so it looked like small trees had been cut and this came up from the stump and roots. But, I am not positive my recollections are right.

View attachment 40341

View attachment 40342
I posted this five months ago asking if anyone knew. I thought it to be some kind of pear because I thought it had small pears on it in late summer/fall. My Kimmi insisted I was wrong, that the bush never had fruit. She was wrong! The bushes have quite a few smallish fruits that look like round pears. I tasted one-not ripe-it tasted like a green apple. No apple or pears have bright orange flowers so...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.