Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
Any oil will suffocate the mites. Because most of my birds were feather legs I used Ivermectin pour on for cattle. It acted like the topical flea treatments for dogs and killed the mites.

Or vaseline but it's so messy.

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
One old farm trick is to coat the scaly legs with some vaseline, the existing mites can't breathe.

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
One old farm trick is to coat the scaly legs with some vaseline, the existing mites can't breathe.
Sorry, I didn't see Robin's response, the Ivermectin will work and be less messy.

Reactions: robin416

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,939 Posts
Got news for you, some still do.
Yes, but this is mostly a hobby forum, people love their birds, and I run a sanctuary, so I mostly steer clear of discussing farm practices. As you know, Fossil Ledges is three miles away from a 4500 bird commercial operation. I'm writing an educational grant right now for this summer, we have a Jane Goodall Roots & Shoots chapter for school age children. We are going to do a workshop project about how human dietary choices affect the environment and treatment of animals. This is not about inflicting environmental views on anyone, it is about education and making one's own individual decisions about where your food comes from.

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
I was beyond shocked when someone told me that's how to treat the mites. My response was not fit to put on the forum. Let's just say I never did it.

Problem is, there are so many that would have not knowing it wasn't the right thing to do. They would see X had been raising birds for generations so they must be right.

I hope your workshop includes that the old ways were very often not the right ways.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Beak Feather
Bird Light Purple Beak Organism
Purple Finger Pink Insect Feather
3 of the babies are obvious roosters. So friendly, the one that wouldn’t come up on my hand (pullet) I’ve thought for weeks, and the one with the gimpy leg was in the back out of reach so I didn’t get a pic of those two. But they def have different dads.. lol. They are in their crazy phase where they want to jump on my hand and back down and up and down on my head and down, it’s crazy. Lol. They’re almost old enough to go to outdoor brooder without me worrying. 🤪

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
Are you sure that last one is a little boy? That comb is so much smaller than the other pics.

That's got to be fun with them using you as a jungle gym.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Are you sure that last one is a little boy? That comb is so much smaller than the other pics.

That's got to be fun with them using you as a jungle gym.
Soo, I’m not 100% sure, but call it a hunch, I feel like it’s a rooster that is just a little behind the rest. I don’t trust the comb thing nearly as much anymore after my surprise rooster lol. This is tiny my blind “hen” 2 months old, even the vet thought he was a she,
Bird Accipitridae Neck Beak Falconiformes
then here he is 2 months later, crowing and acting all crazy lol
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Beak
I was like WHAT? The vet checked his vent and told me not to eat his eggs for a while. Plus he just didn’t act like a rooster. (Maybe cause he’s been blind since birth) but that last chick in the pic acts like a rooster.. lol. More than the other reddish one, and they’re always fighting. I know hens do that too, but it’s a feeling. That would be awesome if I’m wrong, I was thinking hmmm maybe you’re not, but i will stay suspicious and keep him in the rooster category until I know for sure 🤣
Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Songbird
oh and tiny a couple days old. Aweee 🥲

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
I don't think I knew about your blind boy. He really changed a ton and left you no doubt who he is.

It does happen. One of my Silkies had me guessing until she was eight months old and laid her first egg. You can't do the comb thing with them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I don't think I knew about your blind boy. He really changed a ton and left you no doubt who he is.

It does happen. One of my Silkies had me guessing until she was eight months old and laid her first egg. You can't do the comb thing with them.
Haha! I got very lucky? Or I’m not sure, just had an easy time with my silkies. They all turned out to be hens and all broody, so it was very obvious. Lol.
Baby silkies are the cutest things ever though. 🥲 I finally got a pic of the pullet (I think she is) and the poor gimpy one. He looks so scruffy cause he lays on his side a lot because of that dang backwards leg. It’s crazy how the others don’t act aggressive with him. It’s like they just ignore him (her?) lol who knows. And I had to cut his right wing feathers because his wing is actually UNDER his leg, and every time he tried to get up his wing would lift and he would trip himself. I was wondering why he seemed kinda down. Then I figured it out. He got a lot happier after that. Lol. I still am not sure about him. And by that I mean exactly how im going to handle his issue. He can’t perch or jump, but he can hop on one foot when he wants to, but it’s just sad. He’s so sweet.
Bird Chicken Beak Phasianidae Galliformes
Bird Beak Chicken Phasianidae Feather
Bird Chicken Phasianidae Beak Galliformes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

He got a huge attitude right after he changed, started crowing and felt the need to spar with the wall or the ground, but then calmed down not long after. He’s so sweet. He loves to be petted and scratched. I wanna see your silkies/silkie? Lol

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
Poor peep. I wonder if it would be better off without the leg. Awful thing to think about first thing in the morning. Good going figuring out what was hobbling him/her.

Babies of any kind are adorable. As your pics clearly show.

LOL hard to spar when he can't see. That had to be a sight to see.

No more Silkies. I got out years ago. Actually I don't even have chickens anymore. A few Guineas and a bunch of quail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Poor peep. I wonder if it would be better off without the leg. Awful thing to think about first thing in the morning. Good going figuring out what was hobbling him/her.

No more Silkies. I got out years ago. Actually I don't even have chickens anymore. A few Guineas and a bunch of quail.
I’m starting to think he might be better off without the leg. I swear it hinders him standing up because he wants to move that leg too and even without it tripping him it still knocks him over. I’ll be asking the vet what they suggest when he gets a bit older. He seems happy, but not as happy as I would like. Oh and I’m pretty sure I was right about the one who was a “late bloomer” 🤪
Bird Beak Fawn Feather Whiskers
his comb is starting to look more rooster like. And of course this one always has to be in my shoulder.
Bird Building Window Beak Feather

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Why did you decide to not have chickens anymore? Just curious

·
Administrator
22,651 Posts
I raised show birds. Had about 75 most of the time. I simply got burnt out and decided to get out entirely. It took nearly ten years because those that I kept because they were more pets than anything hung out that long. I have my Guineas, going to let those die out and the quail. Same with them.

I can see why so many keep Seramas as house pets. So human friendly and small enough for it to work out well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I raised show birds. Had about 75 most of the time. I simply got burnt out and decided to get out entirely. It took nearly ten years because those that I kept because they were more pets than anything hung out that long. I have my Guineas, going to let those die out and the quail. Same with them.

I can see why so many keep Seramas as house pets. So human friendly and small enough for it to work out well.
Wow that’s crazy. I don’t think I could ever do the show thing. I have quite a few now, but they are all pets lol. I would probably keep one or two inside if I had a bigger house. I keep babies inside until they are big enough for colder weather, then they move to garage brooder or coop, then to coop, but they always stay my babies. Lol. I can’t let them keep hatching their eggs though, as fun as this little hatch was. (First chickens I let the males stay with females) Not unless I can stand to sell them. I don’t want to become a hoarder. it just almost always seems like there’s room for 1 more, but when does that end? Hahah it would be easy to just let them keep hatching forever.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts