Chicken Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've had it happen. I rescued several hatched peeps when their Momma attacked them as they hatched. One she had scalped. But with lots of work from me and the peep it made a full recovery.
Omg! My 4 broody hens still want to hatch babies, even with the cold and even with no eggs. They just like I will make more lol. The babies are so much tamer that I hatched, wow. It’s like they have no fear of me, and now they want to be carried around and if I put them down they start crying and try to jump back on me. Didn’t expect that. Most chicks that I order are not really fans of being picked up, so this is kinda fun but I’m tired.
Bird Chicken Beak Feather Galliformes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
In no time you're going to have a flock like @Overmountain1 has. Hers do the same thing with her and the family.

The peeps are adorable.
Aweee
yeah they really are the tamest I’ve had and the most demanding for attention. They’re fine most of the day without being too demanding, but I gave in a few times to holding them all while they sleep and now they’re like, “HEY! IT’S TIME FOR BED, WHERE ARE YOU!?” “HEY!” LOL it’s so cute. I’m gonna give in while I can because I know they won’t be like this forever. 🥲
Bird Fawn Beak Terrestrial animal Ducks, geese and swans

·
Wonderful Friend
1,784 Posts
You’ll be glad you did it this way- they’ll follow you around like puppies from now til the dawn of time, I promise. If you keep it up and repeat their name while you’re holding them they will learn those quickly too.
Mine come when called individually better than as a flock!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You’ll be glad you did it this way- they’ll follow you around like puppies from now til the dawn of time, I promise. If you keep it up and repeat their name while you’re holding them they will learn those quickly too.
Mine come when called individually better than as a flock!
Omg I wish! I don’t have names yet! the names always come to me when they get a little older. If I just pick names now I’ll forget them, but if I choose based on their personality/looks I always remember. I got a clicker thing for them to see if they can associate it with treats, and all come, but not sure if that works with chickens. The one darkest chick will jump on my hand anytime I put it in the brooder so that’s pretty awesome. My sebright just never warm up to me like my other chickens. I’ve had (barred rocks, Hamburgs, polish, backyard mixes, silkies, serama) They will now come and get food from my hand, but if I move, lift my hand, turn my head, do anything they are jumping and running away. I don’t get it. If I come in their run they’re flying and flapping trying to get through the fence. I hand raised them inside for a month or so, (got them as day old chicks in the mail) and they really are not taming at all like all my other chickens. I still love them and they’re beautiful, it’s just kinda like being around someone else’s chickens I don’t know, or chickens that never got attention. About a month ago, there was one hen that would start screeching if she saw me coming anywhere near their run. It was so bizarre! I spend a lot of time just in there with them now, kinda quietly talking to them and showing them I’m not a monster and I have treats! Haha, Anyone know anything about this? I’ve spent a lot of time with them, just sitting near them watching, holding my hand in the brooder and trying to be slow and calm and quiet, holding, and nothing worked for them I guess cause they are skittish. I’m wondering if the neighbors kids terrorize them while I’m at work or something. Only thing I can think of.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Hamburgs and Polish are known to be flighty. If they're in with the Silkies and others, the others are feeding off the craziness of the Hamburgs.

I got really lucky with my Hamburgs. Most were calm when I was around. I even had a couple that didn't mind me picking them up but that's not usual with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hamburgs and Polish are known to be flighty. If they're in with the Silkies and others, the others are feeding off the craziness of the Hamburgs.

I got really lucky with my Hamburgs. Most were calm when I was around. I even had a couple that didn't mind me picking them up but that's not usual with them.
Ohhhh, no, I’m sorry, I think my long winded question with all that information was confusing! Lol my Hamburgs were the best chickens I’ve ever had. I would still have them today if it weren’t for a neighbor dog.. they would come when called and let me pick them up and they were the best chickens I could have asked for.

I had 2 polish hens that were in their flock that were the exact same. Awe now I miss them again. Anyway, so all of my Hamburgs were killed by a dog (that had a shock collar underground fence for the property it lived at) and when I noticed he was in my yard jumping on my chicken run fence, I went to the neighbor and pointed his dog out and he said it wasn’t his dog, and he only went to the store and shut off the fence for about 20 minutes. I assured him it WAS his dog, cause I’ve not seen any other yellow labs with a giant tumor in the area and I literally was just petting his dog in my yard. So, he didn’t believe me and I just let him know that I can’t have the dog after my chickens.

They are not food, they are my pets and I love them. So, about a month later when they were free ranging (for about 1.5 hours) I went to close their coop and make sure they were all in there and I walked out to a chicken massacre. It was awful. No one cared or admitted to anything. Anyway, so I recently got the sebrights, (ordered them online) and hand raised them inside for a month or so, then they went to an outside brooder, for about a month or so and then into their current coop (Hamburgs old coop) so, these sebrights are the only chickens I’ve hand raised and spent time with, making sure they know me and they are SO skittish. Of me, or anyone. They don’t trust me, they won’t let me pick them up without a huge dramatic get away into the fence or anywhere else and squawking (so I’ve been just not even trying to hold them lately, because I don’t want to cause them that much stress) but spending a lot of time in the door of their run with treats, and taking to them like I have been since I got them 04/29/21. They haven’t warmed up.

They will come up to me (cautiously) and sometimes take treats from my hand, but if I move my hand, get up, grab more treats, anything, they all go running and I just don’t get why they’re like this because all of my other chickens I’ve ever had have warmed up to me. It just doesn’t seem right. They act like I go out there and kick them and hurt them or scream or attack, but I’ve never done that. They don’t even trust me when I’m changing their water or their food, so I’m wondering if they are always going to be my little wild chickens that don’t like me or trust me lol. They are not with any of my other chickens. They are in their own coop and run as they were about a month younger than my serama/silkies I already had.

Ahhhh why can’t I ask a question or tell a story without it becoming a life story? I don’t know lol but what I should have said is, “why are my hand raised sebright chickens so afraid of me and not warming up to me after 7 months that I’ve had them?” (LOL)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh yeah and my serama chicks are getting to the sparring stage lol it’s cute but it’s sad cause they were so innocent just yesterday 🤣🤪
Primate Whiskers Fawn Snout Terrestrial animal
he’s my favorite and so cuddly. 🥰 and here are the sebright hens. I love them but they are suspicious of me lol
Wood Bird Hardwood Pattern Metal

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Your Sebrights are more like the Hamburgs should have been. I had two Hamburg sisters. One was the sweetest, easiest bird. Her sister was more like the Sebrights.

It's a breed thing and there isn't a lot that can be done about it. They might calm more as they age.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts