Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out there were two baby chicks yesterday around 6pm. Took a pic, seemed like everything was great. Got home after dark and was planning on checking in on them in the morning, but since it was raining A LOT, I had a bad feeling and went out to check on them at 5am and both were sprawled out on the ground in the mud looking dead, I rushed them inside and got them warm and it was a nightmare. She protected her eggs so good the whole time so I don’t know why she would just decide to leave them out there like that, unless another chicken did it and she thought they were dead? It’s hard to say because I don’t know if they were like that before dark or not. My other chickens seemed to pay them no attention or act aggressive towards them so I wasn’t worried. Now I have two babies inside recovering and I think they imprinted on me after that cause they won’t let me put them down.
Fawn Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Tail Water
Road surface Wood Terrestrial animal Soil Tail

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
You mentioned eggs? Is the hen still nesting? That's problem number one.

Peeps are too young to understand they need to go in when it rains. They probably shouldn't be out there at all just yet.

Good save.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Poor little peeps! Might be a good idea to separate mama with the chicks somewhere quiet, or just raise them inside with a brooder box.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Poor babies! I had a broody Easter egger who didn't care at all, the chicks we're hatching and while they were pipping she started attacking it, I couldn't believe what a bad mom she was.😕

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wait in the first two pictures they’re still alive? Poor things oh my gosh! They look long gone in the pictures. So glad you saved them.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Wait in the first two pictures they’re still alive? Poor things oh my gosh! They look long gone in the pictures. So glad you saved them.
I know right? In the first 2 pictures they look dead and then somehow they look so great in the 3rd and 4th picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts