Chicken 2.jpg
Chicken 3.jpg
Chicken 4.jpg
Chicken 5.jpg
Chicken 6.jpg
Chicken 7.jpg
Chicken 9.jpg
Hi,

We have raised these chickens since around 2 to 3 weeks and they are now around 13 to 15 weeks old. They all appear to have male characteristics and we hear the odd masculine sounding noises but no crowing. Is there any hope there are some females among them?

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Two and three look like they could be female. And four.

Six and seven look like roos. And one.

If the pic is of two birds are different from those in the single pics, they're too far away to tell.

Someone else will come along and either agree or say not and why not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two and three look like they could be female. And four.

Six and seven look like roos. And one.

If the pic is of two birds are different from those in the single pics, they're too far away to tell.

Someone else will come along and either agree or say not and why not.
Thanks Robin416. I added the two birded photo by mistake. There's still hope for me so your quick reply is appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Wait to appreciate it until someone comes by to confirm. This time of the evening everyone is putting dinner on the table, putting their birds to bed, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
I'm with Robin on the numbers and the photo order, I think you have a few pullets.

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
When you purchased them, what breeds were they supposed to be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
When you purchased them, what breeds were they supposed to be?
I was given them by my neighbour who got them from his granddaughter's pre-school who watch them hatch then give them away every year. I don't know for sure but I imagine they are all supposed to be ISA Browns. I've read that ISA Brown males are white with brown and females are brown with white so, if we take that assumption, that rules out any pullets in these photos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would agree with robin, judging partially by wing carriage and stance from what we can see! PJ would be better here than me!

And I currently have one I'm 99% sure is a pullet that is mock crowing. So never fear, it only gets more confusing! Lol
Oh no! That could literally be a matter of life and death for them! I am going by their characteristics e.g. large wattle and comb, thick legs, saddle feathers and then, if they crow then it's sufficient proof that it's a male.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Compare the saddle feathers and the neck feathers. You'll see a distinct difference between a hen and a rooster. In several of your pics it shows the saddle feathers of males quite clearly.

The other thing that is not quite adding up to the is the body shape. ISA browns males are bulkier than the females by quite a bit. It might be that they haven't reached their full growth but they aren't fitting the body type as of these pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
InkedChicken 7_LI.jpg
InkedChicken 3_LI.jpg
Compare the saddle feathers and the neck feathers. You'll see a distinct difference between a hen and a rooster. In several of your pics it shows the saddle feathers of males quite clearly.

The other thing that is not quite adding up to the is the body shape. ISA browns males are bulkier than the females by quite a bit. It might be that they haven't reached their full growth but they aren't fitting the body type as of these pics.
Thanks. ISA Browns are very popular here in Queensland, Australia so that was my assumption but all the females I have see tend to be more brown/ginger and not so white. When you say the saddle feathers, do you mean where I have circled them? The white one doesn't appear to have them whereas the brown/cream one does. Am I right?

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Yes, you circled the area we're talking about.

That's if they're ISA's. That's the one thing not determined yet.

Any chance they are not the same age?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, you circled the area we're talking about.

That's if they're ISA's. That's the one thing not determined yet.

Any chance they are not the same age?
We got them on the 3rd August when they were chicks and just yellow fluff and the same size. The neighbour's granddaughter had a photo with them on 21st July as chicks. We were told there may be up to 2 weeks' difference in age. That's all we know.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
If there's two weeks difference in age that could very well be the problem in determining sex. Those identified as female might be male since they are not as far along in their development.

If it turns out to be the case, I'm sorry. I know it's not what you bargained for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there's two weeks difference in age that could very well be the problem in determining sex. Those identified as female might be male since they are not as far along in their development.

If it turns out to be the case, I'm sorry. I know it's not what you bargained for.
Thanks. Well, out of 16 chicks we were hoping for no more than 5 pullets. There are 4 others in another section that all appear to be female so we're hoping they are! It was always a risk we would get more cockrels than desired but it's a numbers game at the end of the day.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
One time I set 17 eggs in the incubator. All hatched, 15 were male. Luckily they were a rare variety so I was able to sell the ones I didn't want.

So yep, you're right it is a numbers game.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
View attachment 35982 View attachment 35984

Thanks. ISA Browns are very popular here in Queensland, Australia so that was my assumption but all the females I have see tend to be more brown/ginger and not so white. When you say the saddle feathers, do you mean where I have circled them? The white one doesn't appear to have them whereas the brown/cream one does. Am I right?
I wonder if they are a cross.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a question about chicken breeds as well. I have a 5 week old female Welsummer who as of this week has white speckles all over her face and her belly has turned white. Is this typical in their growth cycle or do I have another kind of chick?

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
They go through some major appearance changes as they mature. If you can post a pic of the one you're talking about it might give someone more information to help answer your question.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts