Any pullets in these photos?

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by John_Fredman, Oct 12, 2020.

1. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

Chicken 1.jpg Chicken 2.jpg Chicken 3.jpg Chicken 4.jpg Chicken 5.jpg Chicken 6.jpg Chicken 7.jpg Chicken 9.jpg Hi,

We have raised these chickens since around 2 to 3 weeks and they are now around 13 to 15 weeks old. They all appear to have male characteristics and we hear the odd masculine sounding noises but no crowing. Is there any hope there are some females among them?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2020
    Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Two and three look like they could be female. And four.

Six and seven look like roos. And one.

If the pic is of two birds are different from those in the single pics, they're too far away to tell.

Someone else will come along and either agree or say not and why not.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.

3. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

Thanks Robin416. I added the two birded photo by mistake. There's still hope for me so your quick reply is appreciated!

4. robin416

Wait to appreciate it until someone comes by to confirm. This time of the evening everyone is putting dinner on the table, putting their birds to bed, etc.

5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Robin on the numbers and the photo order, I think you have a few pullets.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  6. Poultry Judge

When you purchased them, what breeds were they supposed to be?

7. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

I would agree with robin, judging partially by wing carriage and stance from what we can see! PJ would be better here than me!

And I currently have one I’m 99% sure is a pullet that is mock crowing. So never fear, it only gets more confusing! Lol

8. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

I
    I was given them by my neighbour who got them from his granddaughter's pre-school who watch them hatch then give them away every year. I don't know for sure but I imagine they are all supposed to be ISA Browns. I've read that ISA Brown males are white with brown and females are brown with white so, if we take that assumption, that rules out any pullets in these photos.

9. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

Oh no! That could literally be a matter of life and death for them! I am going by their characteristics e.g. large wattle and comb, thick legs, saddle feathers and then, if they crow then it's sufficient proof that it's a male.

10. robin416

Compare the saddle feathers and the neck feathers. You'll see a distinct difference between a hen and a rooster. In several of your pics it shows the saddle feathers of males quite clearly.

The other thing that is not quite adding up to the is the body shape. ISA browns males are bulkier than the females by quite a bit. It might be that they haven't reached their full growth but they aren't fitting the body type as of these pics.

11. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

InkedChicken 7_LI.jpg InkedChicken 3_LI.jpg
    Thanks. ISA Browns are very popular here in Queensland, Australia so that was my assumption but all the females I have see tend to be more brown/ginger and not so white. When you say the saddle feathers, do you mean where I have circled them? The white one doesn't appear to have them whereas the brown/cream one does. Am I right?

12. robin416

Yes, you circled the area we're talking about.

That's if they're ISA's. That's the one thing not determined yet.

Any chance they are not the same age?

13. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

We got them on the 3rd August when they were chicks and just yellow fluff and the same size. The neighbour's granddaughter had a photo with them on 21st July as chicks. We were told there may be up to 2 weeks' difference in age. That's all we know.

14. robin416

If there's two weeks difference in age that could very well be the problem in determining sex. Those identified as female might be male since they are not as far along in their development.

If it turns out to be the case, I'm sorry. I know it's not what you bargained for.

15. John_Fredman

John_Fredman New Member

Thanks. Well, out of 16 chicks we were hoping for no more than 5 pullets. There are 4 others in another section that all appear to be female so we're hoping they are! It was always a risk we would get more cockrels than desired but it's a numbers game at the end of the day.

16. robin416

One time I set 17 eggs in the incubator. All hatched, 15 were male. Luckily they were a rare variety so I was able to sell the ones I didn't want.

So yep, you're right it is a numbers game.

17. danathome

danathome Active Member

Sorry, every bird pictured is a cockerel. A pullet of that breed would not likely have developed comb and wattles at the age given.

18. Poultry Judge

I wonder if they are a cross.

19. HSJ07

HSJ07 Member

I have a question about chicken breeds as well. I have a 5 week old female Welsummer who as of this week has white speckles all over her face and her belly has turned white. Is this typical in their growth cycle or do I have another kind of chick?

20. robin416

They go through some major appearance changes as they mature. If you can post a pic of the one you're talking about it might give someone more information to help answer your question.