Any love for muscovies here?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Biring, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Biring

Biring Active Member

A few months ago my wife asked a friend to bring us two runner ducks and a drake. Due to a slight problem with differences in local dialects we ended up with muscovies instead!

We tried to slip a few runner duck eggs under one of the ducks when she was brooding, but we lost that whole clutch to a flood. Attempt number two was thwarted by repeat visits from one or more of our many water monitor lizards. She’s just started brooding her third clutch so next week we will make our third attempt at Operation Cuckoo.

FCE19161-2DE0-4350-A5AB-8A11DB5E9A98.jpeg

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I think JP has some. One thing for sure they're hardy birds and good parents.

Did you know they tried to ban the Muscovy from people having them here in the states?

3. Biring

Biring Active Member

Quite a few things we have here are banned in the US - kangkung (water spinach), Paraquat etc...

4. robin416

I can see banning invasive species. I guess that was what they were trying to do with the Muscovy. Some were turned out and they were breeding with other wildlife ducks that got someone all hot about it. Problem is, they are right there in Mexico and they don't recognize countries boundaries so they could just waddle on over and setup housekeeping.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  5. Biring

Biring Active Member

Our three muscovies are essentially feral. We have half an acre of mud (paddy fields) that they root around in for snails and whatnot, and if we forget to feed them they can find everything they need within our boundaries.

6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

(set up housekeeping at Robin's House!) My Muscovies were hardy and somewhat feral also. They kept my big pond pretty much empty of tadpoles and small frogs.

7. Poultry Judge

How big are the water monitor lizards?

8. Biring

Biring Active Member

Not so big. They average about 4-5’, with the biggest maxing out at about 6-7’. Mostly we have tiddlers of about 2-4’.

9. Poultry Judge

Wow, we have alligators, snakes and some lizards in the south but not those! Do they actively hunt the birds?

10. Biring

Biring Active Member

57E6000E-31EC-4C87-BC72-F5CB8861C380.jpeg No, they mostly eat fish, which they can find in abundance (unlike the locals who seem satisfied with catching fry). They also take eggs where they can find them, including from right under brooding ducks.

11. robin416

Actually we do have the monitor lizard here in the states. I knew I had seen something about them being a problem just recently. Seems FL is doing battle with them. Won't be long and they'll be in S. GA.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  12. danathome

danathome Active Member

I used to have muscovies when I lived in WI. A local has an ad in the paper selling them for $8 each; and it's very tempting! Butttt the wife thinks I'm getting more than I can take care of; spoil sport.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  13. Poultry Judge

I think the one in Biring's picture looks like he's headed to South Georgia!

robin416 likes this.
  14. robin416

If you're looking at staying out of trouble don't look to PJ for help.

Overmountain1 likes this.