Chicken Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
LOL It sounds like Mac is living the best life possible. Fresh eggs and duck legs? He's got it made.

It's hard for me to imagine eating that many eggs since I don't eat many to start with. I used to. I used to really enjoy a southern breakfast. The kind that's a heart attack waiting to strike? Not anymore for some reason.

I would think boredom is never going to be an issue for them. They've got so many spots to hang out and can free range.
I forgot to say all the hens I have have been in coups and just in a run, now thier out from just before sunrise until they go in to rest at night which I can see thier a happy bunch, just got to make sure they stay happy.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
This is Maisey.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Comfort Water dog

She's one of the best things I've done for myself since I lost my hubs. I swore no more dogs. I lost the last of the three a year after my husband. No more. Not going to. Not happening. I saw Maisey and forget everything I said before. I get to laugh even before I get out of the bed in the morning.

She has health issues. Allergies and she has to be medicated to keep her from revving up so much her GI tract is affected.

Just don't let any of the girls near your face. It could be quite painful. As you're finding they explore and the only way to do that is with their beaks. They love shiny stuff so keep any earrings or necklaces out of reach. And your eyeballs.

And foam stuff like coolers and pipe insulation. If a styro cooler is left where they can get to it all you'll find afterwards is the handle. Chickens can be so weird.

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This is Maisey. View attachment 46104

She's one of the best things I've done for myself since I lost my hubs. I swore no more dogs. I lost the last of the three a year after my husband. No more. Not going to. Not happening. I saw Maisey and forget everything I said before. I get to laugh even before I get out of the bed in the morning.

She has health issues. Allergies and she has to be medicated to keep her from revving up so much her GI tract is affected.

Just don't let any of the girls near your face. It could be quite painful. As you're finding they explore and the only way to do that is with their beaks. They love shiny stuff so keep any earrings or necklaces out of reach. And your eyeballs.

And foam stuff like coolers and pipe insulation. If a styro cooler is left where they can get to it all you'll find afterwards is the handle. Chickens can be so weird.
First of all I’m sorry for your losses it’s always a terrible thing to have to go through, Maisey is beautiful I love her curls, iv always had dogs and it’s heartbreaking when they pass but it doesn’t last long the not getting a dog thing. Thanks for the heads up I had read about them with shiney things so my eyes will always be out of the way I have some safety glasses on hat look just like sunglasses I’m going to start wearing them as they’re around me a lot when I’m cleaning thier coups and other general things. I’m going to make up somthing for the them to jump on and just another thing to play around I’ll post up some pics when I’m done I’m up at 6:30am to let them out so I should have it done pretty early.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
It was a difficult time. I made it whole year and a half before I spotted Maisey. Life has not been the same since and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As you know they do bring so much into our lives.

Someone just had a bird peck her inside the mouth drawing blood. It's the only reason I even thought about the face thing. Some folks do a full on cuddle of their birds and sometimes that gets them in trouble.

Wait until the realize your the treat bringer. They won't leave you alone if you try to walk around the yard. You'll have to step carefully because some can be quite insistent that you not ignore them.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It was a difficult time. I made it whole year and a half before I spotted Maisey. Life has not been the same since and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As you know they do bring so much into our lives.

Someone just had a bird peck her inside the mouth drawing blood. It's the only reason I even thought about the face thing. Some folks do a full on cuddle of their birds and sometimes that gets them in trouble.

Wait until the realize your the treat bringer. They won't leave you alone if you try to walk around the yard. You'll have to step carefully because some can be quite insistent that you not ignore them.
Really glad you made it through and found maisey your right they bring pure joy into our world, I think the first four girls and two of the new ones know this they do follow me everywhere somtimes darting Acros the yard really fast I didn’t k ow they could run like that lol I just let them out twenty mins ago it’s still dark here but won’t be long for sunrise Mac can get his morning egg and beef.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Ouch that sounds really sore I’m going to watch my eyes and stuff for sure, haha yeah they already do that they go wherever I do, that watch your step thing is spot on I trip like twice a day I’d rather fall than step on one of them had some nice eggs today two of them are from yesterday.
Egg Food Egg Natural material Wood

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
They settled into their new digs fast if they're already giving you eggs. It must be the atmosphere of the place. Have you done the math yet on how many eggs a week you'll be getting?

And they look so funny when they run.

How does Mac do with them? Maisey is a no go with the birds.

Do you have to mow at all? Sounds like dumb question. Right?

I've got a bunch of quail. They've just started that under my feet thing. If I go to back up I don't pick my feet up much or I'm liable to step on one.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
They settled into their new digs fast if they're already giving you eggs. It must be the atmosphere of the place. Have you done the math yet on how many eggs a week you'll be getting?

I've got a bunch of quail. They've just started that under my feet thing. If I go to back up I don't pick my feet up much or I'm liable to step on one.
Yeah they seem to happy here I got one from the new girls the first morning I had them now two of them are Laying and the other four are pretty much every other day so around 42 eggs a week I’ll get from them, I don’t have to mow the lawn in the winter as it is but I’m thinking come summer I won’t have to either lol

macs okay with them a bit wary still he got pecked on the head when he got to close so I think they have a kind of mutual respect just stay out of each others way for now.
How are the quail for keeping I was thinking about getting some for thier eggs?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

These are my friends silkies he has a little kind of grey one who’s shy I couldn’t really get a good pic of her
Bird Vertebrate Chicken Phasianidae Mammal

Bird Galliformes Phasianidae Gas Beak

Bird Gas Household supply Beak Pet supply

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Yep, Silkies. I had a lot of them. Too many.

You're lucky. Mac will do a lot to help keep your birds safe. Give him time. More than likely he'll figure they're part of the pack and need him to watch over them.

I've also got a rescue chihuahua mix. My old cat hissed at her. That's it. That's all. Now the rescue won't go near her.

The quail are super easy but they have to be kept penned or they take off to the wild countryside. Have you seen their eggs? Talk about tiny.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yep, Silkies. I had a lot of them. Too many.

You're lucky. Mac will do a lot to help keep your birds safe. Give him time. More than likely he'll figure they're part of the pack and need him to watch over them.

I've also got a rescue chihuahua mix. My old cat hissed at her. That's it. That's all. Now the rescue won't go near her.

The quail are super easy but they have to be kept penned or they take off to the wild countryside. Have you seen their eggs? Talk about tiny.
He has the bug with the silkies he wants more, Mac’s a border collie who are bred for herding cattle and sheep so he naturally wants to round them up, he’ll for sure protect them as he’ll see them as similar to a flock of sheep. Iv seen thier eggs and tried them their super small but very tasty I’ll give a few months Mabey before getting more birds.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts