Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Yes, she appears to be a Red Pyle Leghorn, at least in my opinion. It looks like she has a single comb in the pictures you sent me, though, so not a rose comb Leghorn. The gene that gives birds a rose comb is dominant so covers up the expression of a single comb if only one copy is present. It can also affect sperm vigor in males, so often breeders will breed birds with only one copy of the gene to help with fertility. Because of that, sometimes single comb individuals like your bird hatch out of rose comb breeds. So she may have had rose comb parents but simply didn't inherit the gene. That may be why the breeder refers to her as a rose comb Leghorn.

And agree on training her to the coop, all it takes is one predator to happen to spot her and she's helpless out there in the dark!

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, she appears to be a Red Pyle Leghorn, at least in my opinion. It looks like she has a single comb in the pictures you sent me, though, so not a rose comb Leghorn. The gene that gives birds a rose comb is dominant so covers up the expression of a single comb if only one copy is present. It can also affect sperm vigor in males, so often breeders will breed birds with only one copy of the gene to help with fertility. Because of that, sometimes single comb individuals like your bird hatch out of rose comb breeds. So she may have had rose comb parents but simply didn't inherit the gene. That may be why the breeder refers to her as a rose comb Leghorn.

And agree on training her to the coop, all it takes is one predator to happen to spot her and she's helpless out there in the dark!
Thanks I’m going off what I get told so far iv got a lot to learn when it comes to chickens, I took her out of the tree and locked her in I’ll make sure she’s in at the same time as the others from now on she spent last night in their so hopfully she takes to using the coop again if not it’s a nightly climb for me. She’s the only one who does that his the rest go in no problem I just have to lock them up.

· Registered
I have two hyline browns and one rose comb leghorn, hoping to add four more girls tomorrow
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
At night time you have to be concerned about owls and racoons. At least I think you have raccoons there.

If you can get a decent pic of her or repost one of her @fuzzies can probably say yay or nay to what she is.
We don’t have raccoons here but we do have owls mostly barn owls as I stay in the country would they attempt to take a chicken? I can get some decent pics of her tomorrow and get them posted up

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
At night time you have to be concerned about owls and racoons. At least I think you have raccoons there.

If you can get a decent pic of her or repost one of her @fuzzies can probably say yay or nay to what she is.
I had a look and were I stay we have tawny owls and barn owls both of which tend to pray on small rodents, I’ll still keep her in her coup though

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You're lucky. We have so many night time predators we have to be diligent at keeping our birds safe.

How sure are you there are no fox in the area? I've got a pic somewhere with a female and her kits in the middle of a small wooded area in the middle of a very heavily populated area.
Iv stayed here 30 years and never seen one yet, they tend to stay away from the village theirs loads of farm and woodland around so I guess they have enough food thier. I know that in the cites they can be a problem with getting into trash cans and stuff but no such issues here. There are more predators further north such as pine martins and Scottish wild cats but again we don’t have them here in central Scotland we’re I stay.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You're lucky. We have so many night time predators we have to be diligent at keeping our birds safe.

How sure are you there are no fox in the area? I've got a pic somewhere with a female and her kits in the middle of a small wooded area in the middle of a very heavily populated area.
This shows what it’s like where I stay the village is a little bigger though Mabey three times what you can see here
Nature Land lot Biome Natural landscape Grass

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Yep, you've got yourself a colorful flock to decorate the yard with. Who needs garden gnomes when there's chickens to provide so much color and life?

Love the colors on that first bird. The tail is a mess though. Was it kept in a cage?

Fourth pic. I like those little pencil marks on the feathers. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Also, what's up with that foot?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Certainly don’t need gnomes for colour your spot on thier,
Yep, you've got yourself a colorful flock to decorate the yard with. Who needs garden gnomes when there's chickens to provide so much color and life?

Love the colors on that first bird. The tail is a mess though. Was it kept in a cage?

Fourth pic. I like those little pencil marks on the feathers. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Also, what's up with that foot?
yeah they certainly do brighten up my garden and life, yeah she was from the last lot of girls I got it didn’t look like the four of them had much space, I caught her as she was waking so the foot looks a bit dodgey I didn’t notice that before but she’s all good

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That first one is so special with the color and patterning. Her tail will come back in and make her even more stunning.

Glad that foot isn't still curled. It's one of those things to look out for with them when it comes to illness or injuries.

So, are you going to go hide the gnome in your yard? :ROFLMAO:
I noticed she was different from the other bluebell I can’t wait to see her in full form, haha the gnome has been evicted now the girls have the garden lol I picked up an extra small coup for them to explore.
Property Building Black Rectangle House

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That first one is so special with the color and patterning. Her tail will come back in and make her even more stunning.

Glad that foot isn't still curled. It's one of those things to look out for with them when it comes to illness or injuries.

So, are you going to go hide the gnome in your yard? :ROFLMAO:
I noticed she was different from the other bluebell I can’t wait to see her in full form, haha the gnome has been evicted now the girls have the garden lol I picked up an extra small coup for them to explore.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Whew, I was concerned that coop was for all of them. It's much too small for your growing flock. Have you figured out yet how it's going to work into your chicken husbandry?

What is the thing in front of the coop? Is is supposed to be a run for them?

And what are you going to do with all of the eggs you're going to be getting?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Whew, I was concerned that coop was for all of them. It's much too small for your growing flock. Have you figured out yet how it's going to work into your chicken husbandry?

What is the thing in front of the coop? Is is supposed to be a run for them?

And what are you going to do with all of the eggs you're going to be getting?
I have two other bigger ones for them too just thought it would be a good addition for them to explore, it’s just for them to jump on and stuff, my chicken husbandry? I eat a lot of eggs my brother stays next door to me so I give him some too, I got six today my best yet. Also my border collie puppy Mac gets one fresh egg every morning with his breakfast. He had a duck leg from a couple of ducks I had acquired and butchered today also.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
LOL It sounds like Mac is living the best life possible. Fresh eggs and duck legs? He's got it made.

It's hard for me to imagine eating that many eggs since I don't eat many to start with. I used to. I used to really enjoy a southern breakfast. The kind that's a heart attack waiting to strike? Not anymore for some reason.

I would think boredom is never going to be an issue for them. They've got so many spots to hang out and can free range.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
LOL It sounds like Mac is living the best life possible. Fresh eggs and duck legs? He's got it made.

It's hard for me to imagine eating that many eggs since I don't eat many to start with. I used to. I used to really enjoy a southern breakfast. The kind that's a heart attack waiting to strike? Not anymore for some reason.

I would think boredom is never going to be an issue for them. They've got so many spots to hang out and can free range.
Haha yeah he does pretty well he’s been on a raw diet since he was young and went from the runt of the litter to the biggest now lol I get him his daily feed from the slaughterhouse always fresh ground beef then I portion it out and freeze it up. Southern breakfast? I like the sound of a heart attack on a plate us Scott’s Arnt known for our healthy diet. I’m just trying to get it the best I possibly can for them iv still a lot to do but they seem really happy for now they come to me when I go into the back garden and follow me around one of them sits with me kind of pecks me but it’s not a vicious peck like she’s being gentle, I’ll attach a pic of Mac having his duck leg. That’s the little leghorn behind me in the other pic the Speckledy bovan and nick coral were either side of me.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Whiskers

Sky Wood Tree Grass Tints and shades

21 - 40 of 51 Posts