Chicken Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
There's a challenge in figuring out what they might be. I'm terrible at it so I let others who know more about breeds other than Silkies give it their best.

And you've really got the chicken math bad. You had two two weeks ago. Now look at you. Although you're collected a lovely collection of lawn ornaments at the same time.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Yep, you've got yourself a colorful flock to decorate the yard with. Who needs garden gnomes when there's chickens to provide so much color and life?

Love the colors on that first bird. The tail is a mess though. Was it kept in a cage?

Fourth pic. I like those little pencil marks on the feathers. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Also, what's up with that foot?

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Whew, I was concerned that coop was for all of them. It's much too small for your growing flock. Have you figured out yet how it's going to work into your chicken husbandry?

What is the thing in front of the coop? Is is supposed to be a run for them?

And what are you going to do with all of the eggs you're going to be getting?

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
LOL It sounds like Mac is living the best life possible. Fresh eggs and duck legs? He's got it made.

It's hard for me to imagine eating that many eggs since I don't eat many to start with. I used to. I used to really enjoy a southern breakfast. The kind that's a heart attack waiting to strike? Not anymore for some reason.

I would think boredom is never going to be an issue for them. They've got so many spots to hang out and can free range.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
This is Maisey.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Comfort Water dog

She's one of the best things I've done for myself since I lost my hubs. I swore no more dogs. I lost the last of the three a year after my husband. No more. Not going to. Not happening. I saw Maisey and forget everything I said before. I get to laugh even before I get out of the bed in the morning.

She has health issues. Allergies and she has to be medicated to keep her from revving up so much her GI tract is affected.

Just don't let any of the girls near your face. It could be quite painful. As you're finding they explore and the only way to do that is with their beaks. They love shiny stuff so keep any earrings or necklaces out of reach. And your eyeballs.

And foam stuff like coolers and pipe insulation. If a styro cooler is left where they can get to it all you'll find afterwards is the handle. Chickens can be so weird.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
It was a difficult time. I made it whole year and a half before I spotted Maisey. Life has not been the same since and I wouldn't trade it for anything. As you know they do bring so much into our lives.

Someone just had a bird peck her inside the mouth drawing blood. It's the only reason I even thought about the face thing. Some folks do a full on cuddle of their birds and sometimes that gets them in trouble.

Wait until the realize your the treat bringer. They won't leave you alone if you try to walk around the yard. You'll have to step carefully because some can be quite insistent that you not ignore them.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
They settled into their new digs fast if they're already giving you eggs. It must be the atmosphere of the place. Have you done the math yet on how many eggs a week you'll be getting?

And they look so funny when they run.

How does Mac do with them? Maisey is a no go with the birds.

Do you have to mow at all? Sounds like dumb question. Right?

I've got a bunch of quail. They've just started that under my feet thing. If I go to back up I don't pick my feet up much or I'm liable to step on one.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Yep, Silkies. I had a lot of them. Too many.

You're lucky. Mac will do a lot to help keep your birds safe. Give him time. More than likely he'll figure they're part of the pack and need him to watch over them.

I've also got a rescue chihuahua mix. My old cat hissed at her. That's it. That's all. Now the rescue won't go near her.

The quail are super easy but they have to be kept penned or they take off to the wild countryside. Have you seen their eggs? Talk about tiny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts