Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
438 Posts
Speckledy Hens, Bluebells, and Neras are all types of egg layer hybrids common in Europe. Your birds do seem to match those types of chickens. The Speckledy Hen could also be an Amrock, which is what most of Europe calls production Barred Plymouth Rocks like what we get from hatcheries here in the U.S. The Corals I'm not familiar with, but she certainly could be that based on the description. In the States at least, we've got so many different hatcheries coming out with so many new hybrids lately that it's hard to keep up with them all!

· Registered
438 Posts
Yes, she appears to be a Red Pyle Leghorn, at least in my opinion. It looks like she has a single comb in the pictures you sent me, though, so not a rose comb Leghorn. The gene that gives birds a rose comb is dominant so covers up the expression of a single comb if only one copy is present. It can also affect sperm vigor in males, so often breeders will breed birds with only one copy of the gene to help with fertility. Because of that, sometimes single comb individuals like your bird hatch out of rose comb breeds. So she may have had rose comb parents but simply didn't inherit the gene. That may be why the breeder refers to her as a rose comb Leghorn.

And agree on training her to the coop, all it takes is one predator to happen to spot her and she's helpless out there in the dark!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts