Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I got this Amerucana as a chick and was told it was a female but I’m starting to wonder if it’s really a male. It’s 12 weeks old.
Bird Beak Comb Chicken Phasianidae
Bird Beak Comb Chicken Phasianidae
Bird Phasianidae Comb Chicken Mammal

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
I don’t think I see the triple pea comb started on her so I think you are ok. Look for pointy shaped neck feathers, any saddle feathers pointy, and if a male will have a red comb like this any day now. Otherwise you’re ok. You can see how his started with 3 distinct rows of bumps and has kept growing. They are… 15? Weeks now I think.

I can definitely see why you’re is in question tho!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think I see the triple pea comb started on her so I think you are ok. Look for pointy shaped neck feathers, any saddle feathers pointy, and if a male will have a red comb like this any day now. Otherwise you’re ok. You can see how his started with 3 distinct rows of bumps and has kept growing. They are… 15? Weeks now I think.

I can definitely see why you’re is in question tho!!

Thank you! I’ll keep crossing my fingers 🤣

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kind of a confusing bird. He still has a small comb for a 12 week old, but a very masculine feather pattern, especially those brick red shoulders... I think he's a late bloomer cockerel, personally.

He's also not an Ameraucana, but an Easter-egger. A lot of big hatcheries still insist on mislabeling their Easter-eggers as such, so there's still a lot of confusion about the breed in general, but he does not have the correct feather pattern or skin color for a true Ameraucana.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind of a confusing bird. He still has a small comb for a 12 week old, but a very masculine feather pattern, especially those brick red shoulders... I think he's a late bloomer cockerel, personally.

He's also not an Ameraucana, but an Easter-egger. A lot of big hatcheries still insist on mislabeling their Easter-eggers as such, so there's still a lot of confusion about the breed in general, but he does not have the correct feather pattern or skin color for a true Ameraucana.
Thank you! I kind of got the impression the guy was being loose with the Amerucana name. I guess I’ll just keep waiting to see how he or she matures.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
Looks like a pullet to me. I'm not 100% sure though, The tail is a bit confusing with the way it's shaped but I'm not seeing any saddle feathers or a bigger red comb so that's what makes me think pullet.

Also I'm sure if it was a cockerel it would be trying to crow and I don't see anywhere on your post saying that it is starting to crow or is crowing, So I'm still saying pullet.
Make sure to update us in a month or 2 because if not crowing by 4 or 5 months then definite pullet..

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Looks like a pullet to me. I'm not 100% sure though, The tail is a bit confusing with the way it's shaped but I'm not seeing any saddle feathers or a bigger red comb so that's what makes me think pullet.

Also I'm sure if it was a cockerel it would be trying to crow and I don't see anywhere on your post saying that it is starting to crow or is crowing, So I'm still saying pullet.
Make sure to update us in a month or 2 because if not crowing by 4 or 5 months then definite pullet..
Yep, basically my thought process too. A confusing looking bird no matter what the breed but pretty sure pullet too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also I'm sure if it was a cockerel it would be trying to crow and I don't see anywhere on your post saying that it is starting to crow or is crowing,
I've had cockerels not crow until 6 months of age. Some I have now are a few weeks older than OP's bird and just now starting to crow. Crowing by or at 12 weeks old is not a guarantee.

The more I look at this bird, the more confident I become that he's a cockerel. That's just not a color pattern you see on pullets.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
I've had cockerels not crow until 6 months of age. Some I have now are a few weeks older than OP's bird and just now starting to crow. Crowing by or at 12 weeks old is not a guarantee.

The more I look at this bird, the more confident I become that he's a cockerel. That's just not a color pattern you see on pullets.
I understand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input! I definitely feel better about not being able to tell now. And in regards to crowing, he hasn’t crowed yet but I also have a Welsummer cockerel the same age and he hasn’t crowed either. I will make sure to update you all when I know for sure what it is!

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
Thanks for all the input! I definitely feel better about not being able to tell now. And in regards to crowing, he hasn’t crowed yet but I also have a Welsummer cockerel the same age and he hasn’t crowed either. I will make sure to update you all when I know for sure what it is!
Sounds good! Do you by any chance have pictures of your Welsummer? I would love to see them! Usually I never see Welsummers and I'm not joking either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good! Do you by any chance have pictures of your Welsummer? I would love to see them! Usually I never see Welsummers and I'm not joking either.
Sorry, I just saw this! I will get a picture of him tomorrow. He’s turning into quite the handsome fella 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts