Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I thought I would start a thread where we can share pics and discuss pure bred Ameraucanas.
I am just getting started with Lavenders and am hoping to learn from some more experienced breeders. I have Blacks, Blacks Split to Lavender and Lavender.

Looking forward to everyones input. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
They're gorgeous! My Josie is a pure breed that was given to me last late September. She doesn't have quite the fluff under the chin that I see others have though. Do love her chitter. She's a sweet girl. Very hard to get a picture of her! Camera shy. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like the BBS Ameraucanas. I don't have any at this time, but I plan on getting some when I move someplace cooler. It gets well over the 100's mark here in the summer. I love their fluffy beards, lol. They're so cute. :)

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have AMs and Marans and they do pretty well here in Houston heat. My coops and runs are shaded though so that helps.

I have a roo that I am not sure if he is a split or a pure Black. I have only hatched one egg from his girls and it was a Black split. Hopefully he is a split so I can get some Lavs from him and his 2 Lav hens. If he is a pure Black then I might get some Blues and and do the BBS thing.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two. I hope they are Ameraucanas because that's what the store said they were. We love them no matter what, very sweet but yes chatty. My most chatty bird and their feathery faces are so funny!

View attachment 11865

View attachment 11866

When did yours start laying?
She is gorgeous. I have 3 that look a lot like her. She is an EE. My EEs were sold to me as Ameraucanas from private breeders and the feed store. I didn't know the difference for months. I like them just as well and they lay as blue of an egg as my pure Ameraucanas do. They are different breeds but have several things in common.
I don't know why the hatcheries don't change it to EE. I guess Ameraucana sounds better. I know they know the difference.

I think EEs and AMs start laying a little later than many breeds. One of my EEs didn't lay til 23 weeks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Love your lavender roo. Here are my 2 pullets, Trouble and Hawkeye.They started laying at 5 months. I don't think Trouble even tries to keep her muffs and beard clean anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I like the BBS Ameraucanas. I don't have any at this time, but I plan on getting some when I move someplace cooler. It gets well over the 100's mark here in the summer. I love their fluffy beards, lol. They're so cute. :)
I don't know what BBS stands for...my closest guess is a black/blue split. What does it really stand for?

·
Registered
630 Posts
It stands for Blue/Black/Splash. :) I was saying that my favorite color variety of the Ameraucanas is Blue/BlackSplash. :)

·
https://www.facebook.com/back2simplelife
382 Posts
Oh, your wheaten is pretty!
Thank you! She is totally a ham.. lol She was the top hen in her breeding pen and def had a struggle when we first got her.. once she found her place she became a doll!
She DOES however.. need a few lady friends and a boy friend at some point.. hint hint LW ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
She is gorgeous. I have 3 that look a lot like her. She is an EE. My EEs were sold to me as Ameraucanas from private breeders and the feed store. I didn't know the difference for months. I like them just as well and they lay as blue of an egg as my pure Ameraucanas do. They are different breeds but have several things in common.
I don't know why the hatcheries don't change it to EE. I guess Ameraucana sounds better. I know they know the difference.
Ameraucana is an established breed, recognized by the APA. Standards of perfection have been established. That allows them to compete in shows. It takes a lot of work and documentation to get that far. EE's are essentially outbred from Ameraucanas, but have not been standardized as to breed qualities. Since the Ameraucanas are already established, EEs would have to establish a physical standardization that is different from the Ameraucana, and they would have to breed true to the new standards. Too much work for something so close to something that we already have.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blue ribbon winner at our state fair - Ameraucana. Looks like my Josie that ran every time I pointed the camera at her today.
That looks like an EE to me. It has green legs and is not a recognized color. Ameraucanas have slate legs & there are 8 colors recognized by the APA, Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White. That is not a Brown Red.

This is a link to the Ameraucana Breeders Club picture page.
http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

This is a good read on the differences in Ameraucanas and EEs.
http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/2-3/john_w_blehm/

This is one of my EEs.

:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 191 Posts