Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hello I have been lurking on this site for a few months in anticipation of finally realizing my goal to keep chickens. My husband and I sold our home in Houston in October and moved to the country. We have 3 acres and are having a barn built so it is exciting times for us!

The baby chicks arrived last Thursday morning and are already a part of the family. I have 12 pullets total including Americauna, RIR, Buff Orpington, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Ideal 236 and Dominque. They sure have changed the past 4 days and their little personalities are developing quickly! My family has been visiting the past few days and we have been laughing so much just watching them! My granddaughter picked her favorite, RIR, and named her Lucy.

We broke ground on the run yesterday got the posts installed and then next week-end the fencing goes up! The hen house itself will arrive in about 2 weeks and is being built by a 3 generation chicken keeper. I am probably going overboard but I am insisting on a very secure run because we have every kind of predator out here. These babies are pets and I take their safety and well-being very seriously!

Thanks to all for the advice and experiences posted here. Y'all have been so helpful and I look forward to getting to know you!

·
Registered
137 Posts
How exciting! Can't wait to see pics of your chicks AND your chicken coop!

We moved to our ranchito about 8 months ago near McAllen, Tx and are loving it!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They really seem to be happy in their brooder! I've already had to change the EcoGlow to the middle setting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only 4 days old and their wing and tail feathers are developing!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This little Americauna has such a cute little face! Love!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
How exciting! I live in Boerne TX not far from you, welcome!
I'm forcing my husband to build a better run and coop for our ladies, way too many predators out here!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First dust bath LOL! So cute it was instinct for her!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who could resist that face? Silver Lace Wyandotte.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is Danica Patrick named by my husband because she has racing stripes down her back LOL!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is Daenerys Targaryen (mother of dragons) named by my niece because she will be a good mother. Buff Orpington.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts