Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very cool home, lucky little chickies. If no one is rubbing spots on themselves going in or out you'll be fine. I'd go with it and watch if I were you.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Its very cute, but also very high. I dont think the door will be an issue if their bantams but the ladder will.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apyl said:
Its very cute, but also very high. I dont think the door will be an issue if their bantams but the ladder will.
I don't have any bantams, will it be a problem for regular sized chickens?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apyl said:
Maybe it just looks smaller in the pic. How big is the hole?
I just went out and measured. 8" in wide, 7" tall. I started with 8.5" x 11" and when I added the door frame I guess I wasn't paying attention and decreased the size of the hole. I think I should definitely make it taller.

As for the ramp, it wasn't that steep, I added the wheels and yikes it seems tall now. I still have at least another 3 weeks before they move outside, so I still have time to make some changes.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
What breeds do you have? How many will you have in it?

- as for the ramp, I am meaning the ladder type steps. You may want to add a back to the ramp so they dont have to hop from each step to the next and balance. With a back the steps would give them grip without making them jump to each step.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apyl said:
What breeds do you have? How many will you have in it?

- as for the ramp, I am meaning the ladder type steps. You may want to add a back to the ramp so they dont have to hop from each step to the next and balance. With a back the steps would give them grip without making them jump to each step.
image-555608012.jpg

1 production red

image-2332515021.jpg

1 Silver Laced Wyandotte &
1 Americauna

image-140964422.jpg

1 black Australorp

image-1252009655.jpg

1 barred Plymouth Rock

image-2448364137.jpg

1 buff orphington

Do you have a picture or the kind of steps you are talking about? Sorry, this is my first time doing all this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
This is not my pic, I found it to show you an example. For yours I would just add some wood to the sides so the steps dont hang over. Know what I mean.

By the way, your chicks are cute. :) As for the size hole, I think 8 inches wide is just finde for the height I would go a bit bigger. Orpingtons are pretty big I would guess at maybe 8 to 9 inches high for the door. Sorry I wish I had better measurements for you. My oprington was a good 12 - 15 inches tall. My barred rock is decent size as well but more wide than tall.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apyl said:
This is not my pic, I found it to show you an example. For yours I would just add some wood to the sides so the steps dont hang over. Know what I mean.
Oh, okay! Thanks! I can do that very easily.

I do think I need to make the door taller too. =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts