Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can be done to prevent algae from forming inside plastic water founts? Is there a small amount of chlorine bleach that could be added to the water that would stop algae and not hurt the chickens?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Painting them black or keep them covered well. It wont stop it but it will slow it down considerably. Adding bleach can make the birds sick if over done.
It better to try and slow the algae than to kill it.

Just my 2c......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will vinegar help? When my girls were chicks I put a tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of water. This was to prevent adolescent illness. It might help keeping the algae at bay. (apple cider vinegar)

I no longer use vinegar now that they are laying so I have not tried this. Don't know if it will change the flavor of your eggs.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a thought about the chlorine harming the chickens. We use chlorine to keep swimming pools free of algae & it doesn't hurt us!

I wonder if vinegar would kill algae. Hmmm. Maybe I ought to do an experiment!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use ACV all the time. It does stop the algae and has no effect on the taste of eggs. You will have to experiment on the amount to use to get the results you want but start with the recommended dose. Also controls/kills internal parasites.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I stopped using ACV because I thought it would change the flavor of the eggs. I'm going back to using it daily based on Yolks post. Thanks!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Acv

I stopped using ACV because I thought it would change the flavor of the eggs. I'm going back to using it daily based on Yolks post. Thanks!!
Not everyone's taste is the same. I sell my eggs to friends and co-workers. No complaints about taste.

·
Registered
8 Posts
glsmith said:
What can be done to prevent algae from forming inside plastic water founts? Is there a small amount of chlorine bleach that could be added to the water that would stop algae and not hurt the chickens?
Apple Cider Vinegar with mother!

·
17 Posts
Try keeping your water containers where there is the most shade. Eliminating sunlight will eliminate most, if not all, algae. Additionally, during these hot summer days, it will keep the water cooler and help your chickens keep cooler.

·
21 Posts
I was just wondering if acv or plain white food grade vinegar would help. I didn't know if it would upset them. Thanks!

·
Not so Junior-Junior Member
120 Posts
A friend who shows very successfully swears by bleach in the water. After all, chlorine is added to city water supplies and they treated my well with it after repairs were made. I tried it and my girls simply refused to drink and egg production slacked off.
Many others swear by apple cider vinegar with Mother in it. Look for the brand Bragg's. I personally don't use this as my well water is acidic already.
If you add either of these to your water be sure to use the plastic water, the galvanized metal ones react badly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts