Chicken Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
That second cup baby looked like it was sleeping.

I don't understand how you've got them being so calm. Chicks are normally anything but calm. They're constant motion machines. Except when they drop like rock in sleep.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Cute pics!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
It’s ok! They are Ameraucana chicks, though not typical colorations. The lady I got them from has developed some pretty mixes that I loved. I’m so glad for the variety I got!

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Great pic! Feel better, both you and Robin!!!

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Registered
408 Posts
It’s ok! They are Ameraucana chicks, though not typical colorations. The lady I got them from has developed some pretty mixes that I loved. I’m so glad for the variety I got!
Wow, good luck with those babies!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks guys! They’re just keeping me busy of course. And keeping an eye on the new pullets with my snotty ‘Dottes, making sure nobody ends up missing too many feathers. Good grief. They will get over it. Or not and eventually I’ll have to figure something out but they’re gonna be at least as big as them, and likely taller so they’ll get theirs!

Took some sweet pics of that last peep- s/he Made a friend… and is in with all the others now too- he came around after a day of some intense loving.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
So there are 7 babies in the coop.
There are 6 Ameraucana babies in the brooder and 5 tiny DUccle/OEG mixes in it too(same as coop babies lol)

There are the last eggs (5) from the last nest that she quit a few days early- I let her bc it was simpler and just brought them inside. On candling they seemed like they had at least a couple days left as of yesterday morning- they still had enough space for me to see them moving around so def not finished yet!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Oh and Chip is definitely a proud papa. Had to add that too! He does very well with the babies, he cares for them as well- or as much and as often as moms will allow!

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
No, that's not what I mean. How many in the entire flock. It might scare you when you do the numbers.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Yep! There will definitely be subtraction coming soon. The cockerels will all have to go, as will some of the pullets, though we have our little favorites we will have to see about too. This last little baby is stinkin rotten- if it’s a hen it’s gonna lay stinkin rotten eggs…. Jk but it really did get attached to me/us from carrying it around its whole first day or so, between incubator warm ups. By the end it loved climbing in and knew what it was in there for- would run up to the heater and hold its wings out lol. Too cute- it hides under Claus now, and they all (Ameraucana) herd it (tiny mixed one) to a corner when we reach in, to keep it safe. When they don’t it jumps on our hands.
Their instincts just amaze me sometimes.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts